Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a raft system...

Posted by lightmaster z8 Salem, Ore. (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 05 at 16:16

A raft system is perfect for lettuce...I have all the parts except one thing...

Are the white styrofoam insulation sheets from HomeDepot/Lowes safe to use? I have seen them used before, but are they safe around stuff that is going to be consumed?

-j-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a raft system...

Here's help with raft system and materials

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Lettuce

o

Hi, If you haven't started building your system yet, take a look at how lettuce did in a simple to make system using 2X4s and a plastic tarp. To answer your question, I have used a lot of styrofoam with good results. Only problem I had with it was that algea love's it, and it tends to get covered with it quickly. You can also see how I used the styrofoam in the pictures on the link below. good luck, chuck

Here is a link that might be useful: lettuce growing in simple system

o

Swimming pool noodles!

Buy a noodle and cut a bunch of 1.5" disks out of them...

The tricky part is figuring a way to bind two or three of them together at a time. Once you've done that, just keep binding little clusters of them together until youre satisfied. I don't think they would be stable enough on their own. That could be a way to go?

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 7:16

Thats a very unique & refreshing idea, rugby10. Maybe they could be tied together with nylon ties. I have seen them both available at the dollar store, as well as large containers that would work as a mini pond. You could get a whole setup for about $3.00.
Remember when growing lettuce during low light times excess nitrates can be absorbed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here