Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a Rain Forest reservoir be repaired?

Posted by jwk1 zone 4a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 16:26

I have four Rain Forest units that have been in storage for about five years in my basement. Unfortunately, family members decided to just pile stuff on top of them and three out of the four reservoirs have split sides.

Does anyone know if there is a way to repair these? Replacing will cost at least $75 a piece. Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a Rain Forest reservoir be repaired?

try JB Weld to patch them up

o

Isn't it just a common three gallon bucket and lid?

o

• Posted by jwk1 zone 4a (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 14:23

No, the reservoir holds 17 gallons.

o

ohhhh, I see now that they changed it. I put a link below to what they used to look like.

The new one looks built to break. I like jb-weld, too. Silicon sealant also works well. You can buy aquarium sealant if you like. Fiberglass drywall tape can be used to patch over large holes. And whatever glue you use, rough up the plastic first with a little sandpaper or some sort of abrasion to make it bond better.

Here is a link that might be useful: the old rain forest

o

Without knowing any better, any epoxy ought to work, so no need to go to the auto department for JB which is just half epoxy and half fine iron and limestone for high temperature performance.

High temperature is not necessary for this, just the most waterproof regular epoxy ought to do better and be less to think about adding to the rainforest, stable as it likely may be.

If it were mine, I would check what plastic it was (looks like polystyrene?) If it happened to be polyethylene which can be problematic even for epoxies, I would just melt strips cut from a milk carton or a HDPE plastic bottle (vitamins, protein powders and many foods) with a heat gun over the injury and really weld it with its matching material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here