Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Profitability of growing herbs!!!

Posted by oakleaf33 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 17:24

Production of the greenhouse is slated to start soon. I keep changing my mind on the fly with the pontential crop. I have searched U.S.D.A reports for profitability and marketibility of freshly grown herbs, particulary oregano and rosemary maybe cilantro. Does anyone have any good ideas about what a typical plant yields on average?? Most importantly what is the typical plant height and growing demensions of say Cilantro a.k.a Coriander "i think". I need the plant specs to figure into my numbers to for growing space etc..any help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Profitability of growing herbs!!!

I grow lettuce commercially. The first thing you need to do is capture your market. Do your homework and see if and where your market is. There is plenty of demographic information out there; you just have to look.

Once you have a market, then center in on growing whatever it is your available market dictates.

Once you've done this, contact me and I'll put you in touch with grower-friends who already grow and sell fresh herbs. They are your best bet for success, once your market has been determined.

One advantage of herbs over fresh produce is herbs store and fresh produce doesn't. If I have a crop failure, even once, I stand to lose customers, who are depending on me for their fresh lettuce. Kinda scary!

God bless.

:O)

o

Freemansgreen, thanx for the info!!! I have been doing quite a bit of homework. Doesn't sound like it by some of the questions I ask. I have ordered four books from amazon. GREAT GREAT books. Plant propagators bible, Secrets of starting and operating a hydroponics greenhouse business, Growing for profits backyard business. I have been studying and researching like the mad-hatter.LOL. Thats great to know that you grow lettuce commercially I could definately use any insight that you may have. I will keep posted when I can and show my progress as soon as I can. Thanx again freeman!!

o

I wish I could be of more help, but I can offer this bit of moral support for you.

When you feel like all you're doing is asking questions and this leads you to think you don't know much, remember this:

You probably didn't know enough to even ask that question a week ago.

Sometimes you have to learn a lot just to be able to ask the right questions. It's like that saying: Wisdom is knowing how little you actually know and how much you have yet to learn.

I can't answer these questions of yours, but I wouldn't have thought to ask them, either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here