Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggplants

Posted by edurink Mla Phil (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 04 at 18:29

I am growing eggplants right now. Growth is generally good, however, there are two problems: 1) Leaves crack and develop big holes. 2) Flowers fall off. Any comments or suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggplants

Hmm...tough one. I could not find any reference to the symptoms you mentioned on the net. My eggplants are suffering from aphids even after I Neemed them to death.

o

Edurink,

Just saw this info somewhere. I hope it helps.

Factors that may cause blossom drop include too much fertilizer, especially nitrogen; too much watering; too much heat; lack of pollination; not enough heat

mangojon

o

Mangojon,
Nice to hear from you. You are right, I came across similar information somewhere too. I am using right now the Hydrosol 5.11.26 of Allied Botanical, for fruiting plants like tomatoes, etc, eggplants included. They recommend a 3 stage formula. The first for leaf, second for early fruit, and the third full fruit production. I am using at present the second stage. That means I should move to the third stage where in the calcium nitrate is reduced somewhat. The formula is in my website [http://edurink10.tripod.com/hydroideashobbyist.html]

About the cracks on the leaves, I have some observations. To get rid of white flies, I used a mild soap solution. It worked very well. Then the cracks showed which I suspect was a result of the spray. What I did next is to reduce the mildness of the soap more and after the soap solution, spray the plants with plain water thoroughly on the upper side and lower side of the leaves. Now, the plants look normal. I have to watch for the return of the white flies then repeat the process.

Thanks again, Mangojon. I think hydroponics enthusiasts in the Philippines should interact more.

Ed

o
RE: Eggplants (correction)

Mangojon,
I'd like to make a correction. My website is [http://edurink10.tripod.com/hydroideashobbyist/]

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydro Ideas Nutrients

o

Hi ed,

somehow i was kicked out of this forum. It is nice to know you are trying new things. that's good. I was working with eggplant a few months ago together with Plastro Philippines. This is for the japenese eggplant market. Based on your description, it seems you overdid your spraying (phytotoxicity).

mangojon was right about the flower drop. Anyhow, I have with me a new material from australia for the control of white fly and spider mites in greenhouse. If you need samples of it give me a call.

Regards,

Mike caballes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here