Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nutrient feed methods revisited

Posted by Rio_Grande none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 18:38

Buried in another one of my long wordy threads we talked about delivery of the nutrient to the rail. I wanted to discuss it here again with some new ideas.

We use alot of drip irrigation products, one is drip tape. While the drip would be far too slow for a nft system such as mine, with a foot spacing between emitters there is plenty of room for me to cut straws out.

The reason I am looking at this is I am weary of 1/4 inch delivery that is barely big enough and if any blockage occurs we can loose a whole rail overnight. I was running a double 1/4 setup per rail for a while, but I was constantly chasing a drip or 5. I finally got all the 1/4 lines to seal and now they keep clogging.

So is there something out there that is not 5.00 a valve that I can use to solve this?
I need to move my main above the inlet instead of having the pump push to fill each tube gravity can do the job. I want to be able to increase and decrease the flow in the rail. And the rails must remain moveable/removable.

I like the PVC idea but once I priced all the fittings I just need to find a cheaper solution..

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nutrient feed methods revisited

Try installing a Y-filter on the 3/4" main after the pump to remove anything that would clog the 1/4" delivery lines. A cheap paint filter on the end of the return before going back in the reservoir can catch some junk too.

o
RE: Nutrient feed methods revisited

My wife came up with the idea to use fiberglass screen wire over the outlet lines. This has worked well keeping stuff out of the tank and plugging lines. I'm looking for a good source for IV clamps to control the flow.
Ward

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here