Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kadazuro

couple of hydro-questions from the tropic.

kadazuro
11 years ago

Hi there, greetings from Costa Rica, new around here.

I'm starting an hydro garden and plan on doing so starting from the seeds 'til the outdoor garden.

I have a couple of doubts about the whole process, hope someone can give me some advice. =)

a little background:

we dont have 4 seasons over here, just dry and rainy seasons, we're a tad above the Ecuador and we're currently on the rainy season, where there is a bit of sun early and it rains or get cloudy in the afternoons.

final systems would be a grow bed for herbs and a drip irrigation system for tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, both system will recirculate the nutrients and will be outdoor but inside a tiny diy greenhouse.

Im starting my seeds in flats tray and rockwool with a plastic dome to retain humidity

here the questions:

-when the seed sprout, should I move the plant into a shaded light or should I wait and keep them in the dark until I get to see the first set of true leaves?

on the second stage (out of the dark)

-when should I start feeding them with diluted solution, for how long? (before moving them to the final environment)?

-would it be good to to make a temporary system for these? maybe a little DWC with multiple 2" netpots and keep them behind a windowsill so roots get oxygen and also a bit of the sunlight?

-what if there is no much sunlight, should I keep the seedlings under fluorescent light, until they get bigger?

thanks for the help, (and sorry for the long post.)

Comments (8)

• nil13
    11 years ago

Once seeds sprout, they need light. Just be careful not to burn them with too much too fast.
    I start feeding when they get there first true leaves.

• nil13
    11 years ago

Once seeds sprout, they need light. Just be careful not to burn them with too much too fast.
    I start feeding when they get there first true leaves.

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

I agree that they need light once they sprout. I put lights over the trays of sprouting seeds.

I'm not sure what benefit you're going to get from the greenhouse in a tropical environment.

You can't up-size net pots later in a plant's life, so start it in the net pot that it will have for the duration of its life. You can use a rockwool cube in a net pot of hydroton pebbles to start the seed, or just the rockwool itself. There are also other seed-starting mediums now available that do the same thing as rockwool.

• kadazuro
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks nil13 & Cole R.

the greenhouse is mainly for preventing he rain from washing away the nutrient solution and protecting the plants from wind and heavy rain, but it is nothing fancy

thanks for the info

• grizzman
    11 years ago

depending on the plants grown and type of system, you frequently won't need anything larger than 2" netpots.
    Also, a well sealed system can prevent a good bit of the rain from entering your system so you could potentially grow them outdoors and not have to deal with the heat buildup greenhouses present. Though you will have to get adept at modifying your nutrients to maintain the concentration.

• kadazuro
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thnaks grizzman.

Im having 10 bato buckets with tomatoes, bell pepper and pepino on a drip system, then a ebb&flow grow bed for the herbs: basil cilantro, parsley, celery and maybe lettuce although I'm thinking on having lettuce alone on the side of the grow bed on a DWC system.

my plan is to have small pvc grenhouse, and keep the door open if it gets too hot, but maybe it is a bit of a overkill and I'd get away with some sort of roof thingy. I'll get to that when i get some decent seedlings =)

about the seedlings, once they sprout I putting them outside in the morning to get some sunlight but with shaded cloth on top, they are getting about 2-3 hours of morning sunlight, after this I guess they still get some light but is not direct sunlight anymore but is more under shadow of the house. is this ok? (picture attached of a pair of a 2 week pepino seedlings)

thanks again.

• grizzman
    11 years ago

That sounds fine. they don't need a whole lot of adjusting to the sun. perhaps a week to adjust.
    a greenhouse with just an open door will probably still be too hot. I've been in them here (~35ð lat.)in the summer with doors open and the temperature is still 20ðF hotter than outside. just bear that in mind.
    Will your drip and EnF systems run out of the same reservoir? Tomatoes can generally take a much stronger nutrient than herbs so either you suffer leaf burn on the herbs or the tomatoes grow more slowly.

• kadazuro
    Original Author
    11 years ago

separate reservoirs for each system, I realized that they are on a different feeding diet by reading this forum :D

thanks for your help.