Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatos (3 wk old) lower leaves brown & dying (pics)

Posted by feign3 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 21:25

Hi folks,

First time grower and I have 3 week old Roma tomato plants that have been in the reservoir for almost a week now. They look like they are coming along fine until this evening when I noticed the original seedling leaves at the bottom drying, browning, curling and dying. For now it seems confined to those leaves only... the rest look beautiful. I just want to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.

I've seen so many posts on this but the pictures I've seen look nothing like mine so I want to pass this on for advice if possible and make sure I go in the right direction.

My setup:

18 gallon Roughneck
10 Gallon solution using General Hydroponics Flora series
RO water
~900 ppm (roughly)
5.5 - 6 ph
air stone
Watering = 15 second run time about every 15 minutes (night and day - medium and roots seem sufficiently damp)
Lighting = 63W Penetrator LED Grow Light about 12" from top of canopy - 18 hr on / 6 hr off

Overwatering / Underwatering / Nutrients... I've seen all type of suggestions.

Anyone care to comment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatos (3 wk old) lower leaves brown & dying (pics)

Their fine, those first two leaves always die shortly after the real foliage begins to get big enough. That's normal..

o

First, those are the cotyledon leaves and it is normal for those to shrivel and fall off. They contain everything your plants need (nutrient wise) to survive until it gets real leaves and can start the photosynthesis process.

Second, I'm assuming your setup is an aeroponic system? What media are you using? Just hydroton or do you have a rapid rooter in there as well?

o

It's aeroponic but it's a small pump which makes the droplets pretty large compared to true aeroponic system.

I'm using Hydroton with Rapid Rooters.

I just realized the other day I chose an indeterminate tomato variety so sadly, I'm going to have to thin these out very soon. Since posting those pictures a week ago, they have grown into a dense mass of plants.

o

If they are growing good, I'd leave it on the schedule that you're on. With the rapid rooter in there it may be a little excessive since that will hold the moisture a lot more than just plain hydroton but like I said, if its working, go with it. Also, I believe that whether you are indeterminate or determinate won't matter on your setup. You are going to want no more than four plants in that bucket. Probably just two though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here