Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
d6xkr

Soaked broad beans (vicia faba), for food

d6xkr
15 years ago

hi,

i've been trying to grow broad beans by soaking in water lately. the desired product isn't a completely mature plant, rather what i'm seeking is a germinated seed with a small radicle so as to ensure it's germinated enough to enrich the nutritional values.

i'm doing this because i need folate rich food, and fava beans is a good candidate. as you might think "why grow it on your own? why not buy canned/preprocessed? why not buy it cooked from a restaurant/fast food store?" the reason for this is that any canning/cooking/preprocessing of any folate source will decrease the folate percentage dramatically. i intend to serve the germenated beans in a salad dish rather than cooked.

now the problem that i'm facing is the germination is very very slow. the radicle is very short, nearly not appearing although it's there. i need a seed with long radicle, not very long but enough to decide whether to consume or not, and that needs a faster germination.

any ideas or facts from anyone who tried to consume growing/germinating seeds rather than usually cooked would be appreciated, also any criticism.

thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting