Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brkieffner

Researcing Hydroponics, Newbie Here!

brkieffner
12 years ago

Hello all.

I have been researching hydroponics for about a week now and I feel that I'm still getting confused about most things.

I like to read though so do you guys suggest good books that will help me understand hydro a little better?

What about some beginner setups for me to try my hand at? Maybe some plans to help me build my own? I love to be as DIY as posssible.

The system will be indoors and I'd like to grow some salad greens, herbs and other veggies. If I do well with those, maybe some berries or roses.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Comments (4)

• Umlah123
    12 years ago

Hi brkieffner -

I can relate to your confusion, trying to get a handle on exactly how to start, which products are the best choice, etc.

A few weeks ago I went to the Maximum Yield Hydroponics expo in San Francisco, and was overwhelmed by the vast array of different vendors and products!!!

What I have come away with in researching hydroponics is that the nutrients are the most critical element for having a good urban farming experience.

Also, it's important (I think so, at least), to interact with a company that has a long track record for producing consistently successful products . . . AND . . . is easy to communicate with their tech support staff.

Using that as my guide, and having talked with a variety of folks along the way, I'm leaning toward a company called "General Hydroponics".

They're located locally here in northern Cal, and have been producing systems and nutrients for over 30 years. What I liked most though was the excellent tech support people - when you call them, actual living humans answer the phone (what a concept), and they are very patient at explaining anything that might be of interest.

So, as I am starting out with my adventures in hydroponics, I got some of their "MaxiGro" nutrient concentrate, and other related items.

I've been watching a longtime friend who has been doing this for several years, and she seems to be quite devoted to GH and MaxiGro.

Just now getting started . . .

Good luck with your hydro project.

• willardb3
    12 years ago

You may be giving this more attention then it needs. Hydro is very much simpler than growing plants in dirt.

Here is a link that might be useful: An excellent book

• brkieffner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Umlah! The few places here in Indy that sell Hydroponic supples, only one has GH on their door as products that they sell! I'll have to look into that!

Willard, I hope I'm not overcomplicating things but I saw that book you suggested. Come payday, I'm going to purchase it!

• tcharris32
    12 years ago

Awesome!!! Another Indy person. What side of town are you on? There is a new shop at 44th and keystone. It is called "One Stop Grow Shop". They stock GH, botanicare, fox farms, and Humboldt nutes. They also have a great selection of other supplies for multiple systems. If they don't have it, they'll order it for you. The people working are really nice and experienced. If you get a chance, stop by there. Tell them Tommy that works down the street sent ya in.