Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY hydroponic nutrients(different method)

Posted by prattyy none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 0:32

i am trying to prepare a DIY hydroponic nutrient solution so collecting various resources from internet.

mostly every one recommends a A+B solution so its easier to handle and that the chemicals do-not react with each other over time.

but i came across this article
http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/123392.aspx

in his recipe he mixes all the salt together and keeps them aside and suggest to add 1/2 teaspoon when required.

is this the correct way to do it?
what about the precipitation issues i have been reading?
have any one of you tried this method..?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY hydroponic nutrients(different method)

No problemo. The application rate is:

"Apply at a ratio of ½ teaspoon per 100 gallons of water."

There is so little fertilizer, about 7.5 ppm, that there will be no problem to dissolve everything,the fertilizer TDS is close to rainwater. The only problem is, the plants need about 100 times the application rate/strength in the article, and then there will be solubility issues with that, among other problems with the poor selection of salt ingredients.

o

thanks for your reply...

so you are saying that there is no use of adding that much nutrients to 100 gallons of water?as the amount is very less compared to what the plants need?

can i change the application rate myself?and may be add something like 10 teaspoon per 100 gallon water.?

basically my question is is it possible to have a salt mixture as described in the article and use use it when necessary by adding it to the tank directly or may be first dissolving it in a bucket of water and then adding it to the tank?

as this seems a eaier method of storing a nutrint mix compared to preparing (A+B) solution or in some cases upto five diffrent solutions...

o

You're right on all points. Just forget about that recipe, as it is unreliable. It is hard to say it won't work at reasonable application rate because plants can sometimes surprise you and grow under the most adverse conditions so there's no absolute things to be said..

If you increase the dosage to 3/4 tsp per gallon (about 150 X the amount recommended) then you will have the same solubility issues which make mixing salts a challenge. Plus, sodium nitrate is not a good source of nitrate and iron sulfate is not very stable in most hydroponic systems.

A single powder can be done (check out the commercial product Maxigro for example). A lot depends on water content and user mixing technique. Once you master it, A/B may become as second nature as keeping your butter and eggs in their A & B cartons until you cook them and you might not be as interested in keeping pre-buttered eggs since you might not think they come out as good and always taste the same. (lame example but I want Sunday morning to last longer before getting to work)...

o

haha funny example indeed :)

so i have decided to go the tried and tested A+B solution way..

thanks for your help

o

I heat my greenhouse in the middle in of winter in Wisconsin with a natural gas heater. Watch my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvSb9bXj2B0

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here