Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What house plants in water

Posted by Gramma_Jan_MN_ZN_4 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 04 at 0:47

Hi, I'm jan and I'm a newbie, so here is a very basic question, I have grown philodendrens, pathos, Moses in the Bullrush, wandering jew and dieffenbachia in water for ages. What other plants would work well this way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What house plants in water

Hi there Jan,

I am also new to this forum, but not new to Hydroponics. I have been at it for a year and a half, since I work for a large hydro/ organic ditributor. I make a habit of trying out all of the products I sell to garden centers for hands on knowledge.

You can grow just about any plant hydroponically. It is not just tap water and mild food. There are various nutrients with different NPK ratios. I love to grow lettuce, tomatoes, and hot peppers indoors to fight the winter blahs.

There are tons of websites out there. A word of warning! Morning Glories are best grown outdoors. I had tried some under HID lights indoors and they took over everything. (Rookie gardener here!)

Later, Jason

o
RE: What house plants in water

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 7, 04 at 20:03

Lucky bamboo - Dracaena sanderiana. You need to get a good clean plant if you get one there have been some problems with pests on imported ones. As the plant grows a side shoot simply remove it, place it in water, & you will have a new one. Not all forms of dracaena can grow in water alone, & some varieties should probably not be grown for extended times hydroponically. You need to check out your species.

Although it is generally said any plant can be grown hydroponically, it depends on the plant & its needs. For example, some desert/chapparal plants can be killed with water & some need specific bacteria/fungi around their root system which comes with the soil. Winter watering of a plant such as a boojum can kill it. With slow growth & a going price of 20 dollars an inch hydroponic experimentation is too costly. Hydroponic techniques are sometimes helpful for seed or cutting propagation of such varieties, however.

If you are just starting easier crops include lettuce, peppers, & tomatoes. There are other growers on forum who grow houseplants, & perhaps they will contribute their pearls of wisdom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here