Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmatt_gw

Calcium fertilizer question

lmatt
9 years ago

I know this isn't really a hydroponics-related question, but that's the closest forum I could find that was related to "fertilizer".

So I'm growing a few pepper plants indoors. (They are a little more than a month old). Well, they began to suffer from calcium deficiency, as they got bubbly, deformed leaves. I was thinking of giving them powdered eggshells as a source of calcium, but the material that eggshells are made of, calcium carbonate, is insoluble in water, which meant that if I were to use these eggshell powder as fertilizer, it would take the plants a long time to absorb it. I was thinking that maybe it would work if I dissolved the eggshells in some vinegar (which would turn the calcium carbonate into calcium acetate, and is water soluble). The thing is, I don't know if calcium acetate is useful (or safe) for plants. Can plants "metabolize" this chemical? Will it help my plants in any way? I'd love to hear your answers/opinions.

Comments (2)

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Calcium nitrate is the standard used in hydroponics. But otherwise, yes, calcium acetate will also do the job. Be aware that both chemicals, but especially calcium acetate, will gradually raise the pH of the medium.

• lmatt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info; I'm just growing my plants in regular potting soil by the way.