Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hank_mili

home made drip ring tip

hank_mili
19 years ago

This tip will probably apply to those of use who use the Dutch Pot with airlift method.

I noticed my homemade drip ring was causing a slight backpressure that limited the rate of nutrient delivery. My original design used about 10 1/16-in. holes with the holes facing down. Because the air lift method pumps mostly air, the total hole area was insufficient to let the air leak out easily. In fact I could hear a whistling sound coming from the small holes indicating pressure build up. To fix the backpressure I cut 5 1/4-in. v-shaped slots in the 1/2 plastic tubing. This greatly increased the total hole area. When installing the drip ring I faced the holes UP. This was done to prevent the holes closest to the T-adapter from leaking most of the nutrient relative to the holes farthest from it. By facing the holes up nutrient fills up the whole tube and comes out of all holes evenly making for a better distribution of nutrient.

Comments (17)

• pepperbox
    19 years ago

I've read your post 3 times and untill I gave thought to building my own airlift system I didn't understand what you were saying. Thanks a lot. Great idea! I'll go to the auto store and buy the fittings today. The vacuum fittings in a auto are just the right size and I won't have to drive 60 miles to the pet shop.

• hank_mili
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Glad to have helped pepperbox. That's what this forum is for. Maybe I should have posted a picture? :-)

• gooselady_OR
    19 years ago

If possible, would you post a picture? I want to make a drip ring system, but am having trouble getting started (sorry, newbie here.) I would like to see your set-up. Thanks!

• hank_mili
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Try my link:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/hank_photobuck/homemadedripring2.jpg

Note the holes are facing up. This is important for air pump delivered systems.

• bamf
    19 years ago

Please forgive my ignorance, but where is the bubbler and how does it work? Presumably it's something like a fish-tank airstone, and then what? It's lifting water from a through-hull fitting on the bottom of the pot up through an external lift tube, to this drip ring?

(A picture of the OTHER side of your bucket sure would help)

• hank_mili
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi BAMF. Technically I use a drip system employing the airlift method. The external 1/2" tube is actually an irrigation riser cut to fit the height of the bucket. A right angle fitting is installed near the bottom of the bucket and the riser is attached to it. A 1/4" air tube is inserted into the fitting at the bottom of the bucket. As the air rises within the riser it carries solution with it to the top of the bucket and through the drip ring. I'll try to post a picture soon. Hope this helps.

• hank_mili
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here are a few pictures that should help illustrate the drip/airlift method.

This is the external bucket view. I'm using a 5 gal. pot filled with lava rock. Note where the 1/4 in. air tube enters the bucket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/hank_photobuck/Dscn0634.jpg

This is a close-up of the 1/4 in. air tube inserted through the bottom of the fitting. The tube should be about facing upward about 1 in. within the 1/2 in. riser in order to get the maximum lift from the air bubbles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/hank_photobuck/Dscn0642.jpg

Here my air pumps are hanging from hooks on the side of my house, under the eves, and above the nutrient level of the buckets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/hank_photobuck/DSCN0639.jpg

• bamf
    19 years ago

Thanks for the pictures!

There's way more water in that lift tube than I would have thought possible from just an air pump. My fish-tanks
    don't get anywhere near that much lift.

Is the 1/4" tube just stuck in the right-angle fitting?

• hank_mili
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi bamf

That's correct. The trick is to put a little kink in the 1/4 in. tubing so that it will tend to bend in the direction of the kink, namely up as you push it into the r. angle fitting. Also, keep in mind the maximum practical height of the lift is about 0.9 x the distance between the waterline and where the bubbles exits the 1/4 in. tubing.

• chefmichel
    19 years ago

Hello Hank,
    Your system looks great, however allow me to remark that algea will grow inside the clear tubing. I use plain 1/2" garden hose as drip ring, and made a few long slashes with a cutter. The slashes in my ring are facing down, no problem with even distribution, no clogging even after one year of use.

• hank_mili
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi chefmichel

Good idea using the water hose. You're right of course about the transparent tubing. I just used what was available at the time. Did you cut along the length of the hose? Also did you notice any back pressue using your technique?

• wampuscat
    19 years ago

I started to say something about the different methods of hydro..and about the drip ring thing..but decided not to.. in the past 20 years guess I have tried about everthing..

BUT WHY USE AN AIR PUMP??

• hank_mili
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Fair enough question I guess. Here are my reasons.

1. Working with 115 VAC in water makes me uncomfortable.
    2. The air pump aerates the water being lifted.
    3. Happened to have a couple of air pumps when I started this hobby.
    4. My buckets are outside my bedroom and the bubbly noise helps me get to sleep. :-)

• wampuscat
    19 years ago

hank..good enough reasons..I played around with the air for a while and could never get the drip ring to work like I wanted it to..so I moved the air pumps over to my nft and dutch pot reservoirs.
    corky

• chefmichel
    19 years ago

Here my cheap setup with an airlift. I hope the pictures are
    clear enough to understand the working of the system.
    The 2 Amayllis bulbs are in it since 5 days.
    All you need is a colander, a dark bucket,expanded clay pellets. Also 2 pieces if 1/2" T junctions and some hose for the drip ring. My airpump is connected to a timer. Watering 15min on every 2 hours.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/chefmichel/Sieve_airrpump.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/chefmichel/f96bd609.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/chefmichel/Airpump1.jpg

• hank_mili
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Corky
    I'm speculating the problem you had with insufficient water flow to the drip ring was either back pressure from the drip ring or trying to lift too high a height. I'm easily getting 8 oz/min or 3.75 gal/hr.

Chefmichel
    Using a 1/2" T inside the bucket to keep the air hose in place is simple but brilliant. Mind if I steal you idea on the next bucket I build?
    BTW I leave my pump on all day. It's my opinion that the water gets aerated enough from the bubbles that an on/off cycle may not be needed.

• thanate191
    16 years ago

In a continuous drip system, a single pot is used with a two-gallon reservoir underneath. The system acts like a percolator as air is pumped down a vertical shaft, creating pressure, and nutrient solution is forced up another tube. A drip ring constantly irrigates the substrate, and the nutrient solution drains back into the reservoir. This type of system is easy to use, inexpensive, and great for individual experimentation. However, it is impractical for most commercial applications. Ebb and flow systems are also popular in hydroponics. They are good for crops such as lettuce, pepper plants, miniature tomatoes, and potted flowers. Ebb and flow systems can also be used as an herb garden to provide fresh basis, thyme, and oregano year round. Ebb and flow systems do have a few drawbacks, one including the possible buildup of fertilizer salts in the substrate. As the water evaporates between flooding, the salts are left behind as a residue and may rise to toxic levels. It is best to flush the system with pure water periodically to take away any toxic salt buildup.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to find out more about hydroponics