Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor plant switched from flowering to vegetative photoperiod

Posted by shadoh6 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 3:08

I have an indoor serrano pepper plant that was doing really great about a month ago, putting out dozens of new blooms with rich, green foliage, but now I have a serious problem. Here are the details:

Serrano pepper
Hand watered coco coir in a 7 gallon pot
Hydroponic nutrient 800-1000 ppm fed once daily
12 hours of HPS 600 watt light daily

About 3 weeks ago, aphids began to start attacking it starting from branches and leaves on the very interior of the plant. I removed the infested branches, applied various organic sprays (neem, garlic, spicy pepper, etc.) to no avail. Long story short, the aphids have killed off 60-80% of the leaves, and I have hope that the pesticide I am using will solve the problem of aphids for now.

My question is now that I want the plant to regrow its leaves, would it be advisable to switch to a 18/6 or 24/0 photoperiod to induce a vegetative state? There are only about 4-5 small peppers that have fruited, and I don't really care what happens to them since I am more concerned about the overall plant than a couple of underdeveloped fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor plant switched from flowering to vegetative photoperio

Peppers are photoperiod independent. They will flower regardless of the lighting schedule.

Lady bugs eat aphids. You could try them, but be careful not to kill them with your sprays.

o

Agreed. Peppers are not pot. the type of light and the amount of time will not affect flowering. That being said, if you are trying to regrow vegetation, 18/6 wouldn't be bad and the plant will grow faster than 12/12 but don't do 24/0. They need some darkness.

Notes seem high for coco being hand watered too. If you start to see shriveled new growth or dying growth tips, I would look to your nute strength first. In your type of application, you should be about 1/2 strength of where you are.

o

I also am in agreement. However I have never been able to get a plant to "regrow" dead, damaged, or missing leaves along it's stem or branches. They always seem to be adding new leaves at the growing tips.
~Ken~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here