Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this air-pump silencer a good idea?

Posted by chris_2003 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 30, 03 at 7:26

Hi,

I've been doing some reading on the 'net, and have heard of a way to 'silence' air pumps by doing the following - is this a good idea? -

1)Get enough matching 35mm film cans for each airline.Photo stores will happily give them away.

2)get some rigid tubing that is the interior diameter of your brand of airline tubing.For ordinary Penn/Plax tubing 5/32 works well,but check.

3)use a drill bit somewhat smaller than your rigid tubing to bore holes in the center of the lid and the center of the bottom.

4)Insert pre-cut lenghts of rigid tubing,top and bottom.Secure with super glue.

5)allow glue enough time to set hard.Usually this is a coupla hours.

6)once super glue is thouroughly set, use ordinary silicone sealant
on the insides, outsides and lid joints.Use lots and don't worry about neatness.(A nice fat rubbery joint is desired)

7)Allow silicone 24 hours to dry and cure.Cut short lenghts of airline tubing and push onto one rigid tube end.

8)install the silencer on each air pump outlet.

Thanks a lot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this air-pump silencer a good idea?

I always thought the noise from air pumps came from the vibrations they made during operations. The humm from the pump vibrating against its legs. Try securing it down tighter or placing it on a piece of foam rubber to cushion the vibrations and to silence the noice

o

If the air noise were coming from air velocity, which it's not, the silencers would work.

Air velocity and air noise are very, very low in aquarium pumps

o

air pumps arnt really that loud anyway.
WEs

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 04 at 10:37

I have silenced mine by placing it on a towel & hanging it in the air by a bungee cord. I prefer the cord & it has not affected the pump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here