Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Totally underwater?

Posted by terryinmd (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 21, 09 at 11:34

Last spring I saw some houseplants at Ikea, which were in clear tubes, completely underwater. Next time I was there they were gone of course. Has anyone heard of this? How long were those plants likely to live?
I tried putting a cutting from a terrarium sedum into a miniature bottle, filled with water, and screwed the cap on. 3 days so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Totally underwater?

where will the plant get the CO2 it needs?

o

Some people grow a common houseplant called pothos completely underwater in their aquariums. I seem to recall there are some few other houseplants that are grown in aquariums.

o

Grizzman, I was hoping somebody here would know:)
Albert, thanks, I'll try a cutting from my pothos.

I'm not sure what my terrarium plant is, the label just said sedum. Now 11 days underwater, no sign of roots or rot.

o

There are certain plants that are aquatic and you can grow them completely submerged. I used to have a 40 gallon planted tank before I got married then got rid of it when I was moving out of my parent's house. You supply CO2 to the water through airline tubing running it through a diffuser. I used a "bubble ladder" which the CO2 bubble would zig-zag up a plastic ladder as it made its way up so it delayed it from escaping too fast. The longer you keep the bubble in the water the more it absorbs into the water. None of these plants were edible though, purely ornamental. You can check out www.plantedtank.net for more info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here