Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Cuttings in aquarium instead of glass bottles

Sorry, I apologize if this is asked about often and I just don't know the lingo well enough to recognize if any discussions might have already answered these questions. I don't mind a link to them if that's the case. I'm out of my normal realm coming to this forum.

I usually keep some coleus and other cuttings over winter in glass bottles and jars of water on windowsills but happen to have an empty 10-gallon aquarium and the equipment that goes with it like bubble bar, and 2 waterfall-style filter pumps. A discussion about coleus cuttings has given me the inspiration to try keeping some in the aquarium to compare how they do with oxygenated water compared to the bottle/jar method.

I'd like to keep the roots separated but don't know if that's even possible. I was thinking of using plastic water bottles with slits/holes cut in them to keep the plants separate. What size/shape holes would you make? How many?

I'm wondering if a lower water level of about 4" with only the bubble bar would provide enough extra oxygen for this experiment to be worthwhile, or if it would be better to use bigger cuttings and deep enough water to run one of the filter pumps also.

Thoughts/opinions?

Comments (3)