Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air Conditioner Water?

Posted by CaptainZero none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 12:46

I have collected over 30 gallons of water that is basically nothing more than condensation discharge from my air conditioner (distilled). I hate to see this water go down the drain.

Does anyone have any idea if this is safe to use for hydroponics? I know it doesn't contain any chlorine or chloramine, etc., and I would check the PH/EC/TDS/etc. before adding it....it was condensed on the exterior of the copper cooling tubes/radiator for the a/c unit.

It SEEMS to me like this water would be much better for hydroponics than the treated city-water that comes from my pipes, but I thought maybe you fine folks would have more insight.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air Conditioner Water?

In theory it's ok, but air conditioners tend to leak oily goo and rust when they get old. Look at the surface of the water to see if it looks oily. You're not supposed to drink the water, because bacteria and mold can grow around the coils, but that's not as big of a deal for a plant.

o

Unless the A/C has failed, there will be no oil on the condensate.

I can't think of an A/C unit that has steel coils that would produce rust......coil are aluminum fins on either alum or copper pipe.

Use the water, it's how distilled water is produced.

o

I have a unit right now that leaks a little coolant on a hot day when it is running a lot. It bubbles out and looks like oil. The unit is fine until it hits about 100 degrees outside. And all of my old window units are rusty. It's mostly the metal housing that goes around the back. The water sits inside and rusts everything.

I do happen to have a hosta outside right underneath the window unit's drip, and it is doing great. In theory, anyway, rust in the water is merely supplemental iron, and a little is no problem.

o

You need to replace your window units....what you are doing is not very green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here