Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicavanderhoff_gw

I've been wondering

jessicavanderhoff
14 years ago

can plants get oxygen on a separate portion of their roots than they get water from?

I have the old version of the aerogarden, and it doesn't seem like there's an airstone. There's a water pump that pumps the nutrient solution through the little holes where the plants sit, and I guess this would oxygenate the nutrient solution a little bit, but it doesn't seem like it would do much. I'm wondering if the plant gets most of its oxygen through the top portion of the roots, which is open to the air (the gap between the lid and the surface of the nutrient solution).

I'm curious whether anyone has tried a completely stationary hydro setup like this. I understand that for best production, you'd want to add extra oxygen to the nutrient solution even if the roots take in oxygen from the air, but am curious about this concept for small-scale stuff, like keeping a plant at the office, and growing on my deck next summer (has to be low-budget, and there's no electricity hookup outside).

I may have to give it a try, but thought I'd ask for advice first, in case anyone has tried and failed.

{{gwi:1014653}}

Comments (5)

• lifesagardendigit
    14 years ago

not an expert here but I believe with aerogardening the pump acts more like a sprayer than a circulator in the nutrient solution... the spraying effect creates an oxygen/h2o/nutrient mix which gives the roots what they need without too much of any one part.... i would imagin that the nutrient/water res with no oxygenation would be too much and possibly harm/kill the plant... the exposed roots in the air might dry and again harm the plant.... haven't done it but that is my guess... i use dwc and have had air pump failure with bad results. just my thoughts

good luck

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding!

It sort of drips on the roots. (On about 5% of the roots-- most of the root volume has grown down into the reservoir).

Maybe I will give it a try with a plant that I'm not too attached to, in something small and disposable, like a Styrofoam coffee cup with a lid, and see how it does.

• growmaters
    14 years ago

Aero gardens are self suffecient the biggest concern is to make sure the drip or sprayer nozzles are not getting plugged up with mineral salts. Also you have to be careful to use nutrients that have no organic matter in them it results in plugging of system components. Aerogarden does make their own nutrient tablets that also work very well with no mixing.

Good luck!

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aerogarden is working fine, thanks. I was asking in general.

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Any water, even without supplementary oxygenation has a certain content of dissolved oxygen. This content depends on the water temperature and/or if organisms draw oxygen from water. The use of clean and 'cool' (19-23°C) water is recommended if no oxygen is produced by air-stone or other device (recirculation,etc.)
    And yes, plants can derive oxygen either from AIR or from water (nutrient solution). Some plants are able to better survive in oxygen deficient or stagnant water, but most species need an adequate content.

In case oxygen content is inadequate, the plant growth will slow down and general metabolism will be much slower. The lower the oxygen content, the lower the concentration in nutrient should be. In case there is no supplementary oxygen source, nutrient solution should be replaced frequently, as the plants absorbe the O2 content quite quickly. Obviously, small plants with little root mass survive (thrive) much longer in stagnant, yet cool water. The use of pre-oxygenated water with each water change is recommended as well.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!