Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chellflower

How many folks use 'Reservior' Method?

chellflower
15 years ago

Hi. I'm new to the Hydroponics forum..and fairly new to hydroponics...

I had wanted to try hydroponics for a few years, but found it often confusing and very expensive...last February I came across info for making a 'Reservior' system from a plastic tote and aquarium pump, so I gave it a try and had great luck with it. I disassembled the setup in May while Spring Cleaning and am just now getting it going again-this year, instead of a reservior on the kithchen bar with a grow light above it, I have a 5 shelf metal utility rack with a light for each shelf.

Last year I used perlite/vermiculite as a grow medium...hydro supplies are hard to find around here! I just finished setting up a reservior from a 28 gallon plastic tote and used Hydroton Pellets (1/4" diameter) but I had to add perlite on top to hold seeds (Plumeria & Desert Rose) in place. I also have the same types of seeds in a covered tray on a heat mat in my portable (indoor) greenhouse planted in Grodan starter cubes for comparison. I use organic fertilizers in my nutrient solution.

I plan to setup another reservior using the starter cubes to compare grow mediums in hydroponics...

Do/have any of you ever used the Reservior Method for hydroponics? If so, what grow medium seemed to work best for you? I'd like to compare notes with another Reservior Method user... Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting