Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing citrus trees?

Posted by wordwiz (wordwiz@fuse.net) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 17:48

I possess a dwarf banana, lemon, orange and tangerine tree and plan on adding a peach, apple and pineapple. Google leads led nowhere, except for a couple of sites that suggested drip irrigation, which I don't really consider hydro. Supposedly the roots need to sort of dry out, which would mean an Ebb & Floor type, or maybe aeroponics on a timer. I know a banana will grow great in a DWC system - I add a week per leaf like clockwork.

Ideally, I would like to grow these in hydro until at least next fall and if necessary until the spring of 2012 when I will give them a permanent home in my garden. Preferably, I do not need to do E&F but I might be able do aeroponics on a timer. My preference, simply because I have the equipment and it is the simplest, is DWC.

If you have any advice or experience, I'm all eyes!

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing citrus trees?

Do you have any pictures of the trees you are growing? We are currently in the process of growing some plants, like tomatoes and such. It seems a little boring, but i honestly think citrus trees will be a good idea. Goodluck!

o

tiger,

e-mail me: wordwiz@fuse.net

Mike

o

It can be done. My own experience was starting seeds from lemon and oranges in soil, then moving them into rockwool blocks after maybe a month. The rockwool blocks were put placed in GH waterfarms with hydroton clay pellets. It was fun and surprisingly easy. I still have maybe four trees, all in soil at this point, alive after maybe three or four years. Keep an eye out for mealy bugs and fungus gnats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here