Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

Didn't want to hijack the Winter Crops thread

wordwiz
13 years ago

Homehydro posted this, not that I disagree with it:

* Posted by homehydro (My Page) on

Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 6:12

I don't know what the day and night time temps are in your area (zone 8) it stretched all up the west cost when I looked it up, and I don't know what size plants you can accommodate, type of system etc..

But I grew Broccoli last winter myself in west AZ. It was a learning experience. Learning how harvest it best was the the main thing I learned. Also day neutral strawberry's might do well. Personalty I believe you can grow anything hydroponically in any area if you know the needs of the plant and build accordingly. It just depends on your resources (money, materials, time, space etc.).

To me it depends on your goals, do you think you will reap enough reword for your time and money, or is learning the goal? That's how I always look at it when thinking about building a setup. Also can it be used for other plants I may want to grow later (so it's not money wasted).

I have been in many arguments with my mom (last year) about the funds needed to do the job right, even though I gave her a written estimate with an allotment for small unexpected parts (that she conveniently forgot about). Bottom line if building setups with others in mind, be prepared for everything from it cost more than you said, to I could have bought more at the store with that money. If it cost $20 to build a system that would produce 2 to 4 heads of lettuces a week, just be prepared for the argument that they could by a lot of lettuces for $20, so why bother. Today ya, but will it last 6 months, a year two years?

She is only used to growing in dirt. She still does not understand that you can use the system more than once. Nor dos she understand that you can grow all year long if you give the plants the right conditions. All she is used to is planting a plant in the ground and thinking that plant will grow and only cost a few dollars. That's funny because she is still working on a raised flowerbed to grow burssel sprouts (yuck). Between the bricks, stakes, adhesive, potting soil, she has spent about $150, and she still needs about $20 more of soil to fill it (It wont get filled), and she does not even have the plants yet. But she has been doing things her way for 70 years, she's not about to change now.

P.S. I would have not used a raised flowerbed for brussel sprouts in the first place (they need years to mature), I would have used a unused space on the hill in the backyard instead (plenty, plenty, plenty of it). It would have cost less than 25% of that and not tied up valuable prime space in the hart of the backyard (but I'm just stupid that way).

--------------------------

I live in a colder-climate, Cincinnati, where it can stay below freezing, with little to no sunlight for three weeks in a row or more. So I approach the cost of indoor growing a bit different.

Aside from the fact that trying to find a tomato in January that has a bit more taste than cardboard is a dream, I look at benefits that can be assigned a cost, as well as those that cannot.

For instance, running 1800 watts of HID lights (or CFLs for that matter) for 16 hours per day will add about $103 per month in electricity costs. But running those lights from 5 pm until 9 am will add a bunch of heat overnight, keeping my furnace from kicking on.

Then there are those benefits that cannot be measured with dollars and cents. You probably have heard about SADD - a new malady caused by no or little exposure to sunlight and (IMO) not seeing things growing. But walking into a grow room, looking inside a closet, even seeing a window where anything from lettuce to a banana tree is growing, and seeing new leaves form on a regular basis - what is that worth in the middle of winter!

Thanks to my Greenhouse, the only time I was not extremely cheerful last winter was a period from early January until the middle of February - 40 days at max, and even then there were a couple of bright days. And that was without any artificial lighting!

For the first time in my life, I am not feeling bad about the end of summer or even winter approaching. I look forward to walking down into the basement and seeing the progress of 40 tomato plants, then walking upstairs and seeing my banana plant and dozen basil plants.

Tis true, counting the cost of the lights and building the growing station, I'll break even or maybe make a couple hundred dollars if the plants do great but even if I lose $100 - tell me what activity you can enjoy daily for three months for $1/day!

MIke

Comments (4)

• homehydro
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First I want to make a correction of a mistake I did not notice when I posted that statement. I mentioned in the P.S. part that it takes years for brussel sprouts to mature. Although one of the plants she is planing to grow is brussel sprouts (seeds already sprouted). But I was thinking of asparagus when I said it takes years to mature. She wants to grow asparagus also, I like asparagus. But anyway that was me getting two different plants mixed up.

I do agree that there's something to be said for the effects of light depredation. Like the long winters with little sunlight up in Alaska (other places also), even in Antarctica. I do know that depression under such conditions is much higher. I myself have wanted to move to Alaska for decades, and know that the long extended (low light) winters can take there tole.

P.S. I'm not familiar with the winters in Cincinnati, other than it's normally cold, windy and snow all winter. But I'm truly glad to hear wordwiz that you are not dreading this winter, but even looking forward to your crops. I know you will, but I would suggest to share what your doing with everyone you can (especially neighbors, friends, co-workers etc.). That keeps you excited, gets other people interested, and gives you new ideas along the way.

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Homehydro,

Trust me, I share what I do with a few thousand people! I publish a weekly newspaper and write about the stages of growing as well as the set-ups or systems.

Mike

• homehydro
    13 years ago

wordwiz
    I was not implying that you did/do anything different. Thanks for sharing with others?

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Homehydro,

Actually, according to some people I share too much! I drop papers off to maybe 100 businesses a week and people always are asking about the garden or gardening problems and what they are or what can they do about them. What causes the bottom of tomatoes to turn black, can they pick green tomatoes before a frost, why did tomatoes turn orange but never red this summer? Actually, it's pretty neat. A village is letting me lease a half-acre of ground for a nominal fee so I can raise tomatoes. They are terming it a demonstration project.

Because of our weather this summer, my tomato crop was a dismal failure. Yeah, I could have watered the garden a couple times a week for three months and probably had a good harvest but the idea was to do this smaller area (about 100 plants) the way I would have to do 2-3,000. No way can I water a half-acre, especially since the site does not have running water within 500 feet!

Mike