Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abba12

Self Watering Pots, and Mediums to use

abba12
12 years ago

I'm just looking at getting started with hydroponics. I don't have the money for a proper set up, but I do have a whole heap of self watering pots lying around. Thing is when I look online everything keeps talking about water going up through a wick, as if there's some thread on the pot or something. My pots a grill containing a dip with small holes, where I suppose the soil comes in contact with the water, and I think what's supposed to happen is the water enters through that soil contact and spreads upwards. Does this sound right?

In this case, my question about its use for hydroponics is, what medium do I use. Will the roots grow all the way down through the grill, allowing me to use gravel, or do I need to use a medium that holds water and stays damp? If I'm using a medium that holds water do I need to worry about aeration, or will it have enough air, like a plant in soil? What mediums hold water? Sand will fall through the grill so it needs to be somewhat coarse, or perhaps long (I saw someone talking about using coconut fibers once, but I haven't a clue where I'd buy it)

Thanks for your help. I understand the idea of hydroponics, but it all talks about shallow pots and shallow root systems. Finding something for a deeper medium seems much harder, but I'd prefer to use what I have on hand.

Comments (2)

• grizzman
    12 years ago

your system will be somewhat of a hydrid hydro system, but it should work fine. as for medium, I suggest your check out the container gardening forum for better info on that. basically you want something that'll hold some moisture but allow air to intermingle with the roots. a combination of perlite and vermiculite or peat moss should work well. something like 2/3 perlite to 1/3 of the other is what I would use.
    when you first plant into the medium top water for about a week to get them established, then start water the well only to encourage the roots to grow down there.
    Good luck!

• homehydro
    12 years ago

As far as what growing medium to use, I would suggest coco fiber (also called coco coir or coco chips). It's made from coconut husks, and It's a very good inert growing medium. It has excellent wicking capability's, as well as water retention capability's. It also provides very good aeration to the roots. It provides better aeration to the roots than peat moss (as long as you don't over saturate/water). Depending on your growing containers, and the size slats/holes in it would make a difference weather you uses the coco fiber or coco chips.

Coco fiber has a smaller particle size, and is similar to peat moss in size. But coco chips has a larger partial size, and is more like the size of small wood chips for BBQ. Their both the same material (coconut husks). The baskets I use would allow too much of the coconut fiber to go through the slats/openings, so I prefer the coco chips over the fiber. Coco chips or coco fiber is almost always the same price. And because the particle size of the chips is larger, it also tends to provide better aeration to the roots than the smaller coco fiber partial size. It also has the same water retention capability (it's the same material).

As for the wicking effect, as long as the growing medium touches the water, it will wick up moisture. But how much depends on basically two things. One is the type of growing medium, and the other is how much of it is submerged in the water. And going that rout, you will probably need to keep a close eye on the water level.

Too wet, and you suffocate the roots, and too dry and they have other problems. That's why most people that use the wick system use a regular wick (some type of absorbent cloth). That way if the water level gets to low, the growing medium still has a way to wick up moisture. It just gives them more leeway in moisture control.

Sponsored
Roanoke Landscapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Botetourt's Full Scope Landscaping ServicesBest of Houzz Winner