Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citric acid vs sulphuric, phosphuric, ammonia etc....

Posted by ro66 newmexico (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 18:30

Hello, I am new to the site.loved reading some of the entries...q's....does anyone have experience using a simple citirc acid for balancing ph levels...rather than the more common forms?? I need a range of 5.8 - 6.2 ph.....I have source h20 at 7.3-7.5........I am looking for histry of citric acid in relation to it's affect on nuits, will citric acid affect tomato plants in a negative way???Oh, I also grow in a perlite/coconut coir mix medium, irrigated 2x each hr...during sunlight......

Thanks RO

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citric acid vs sulphuric, phosphuric, ammonia etc....

Welcome rosmile

Nothing wrong with citric acid as far as I know. I'm using vinegar (5%) mostly. It makes a reasonable buffer with the calcium and magnesium in solution. I use about 1mL (or something like that) per 100L nutrient for every 0.1pH point to go down. Never seen any problems.

o

Can you also use baking soda to raise pH?

o

Yes!
tps per 100L of nutrient!

o

Hold on, did you mean millilitres (ml)? Because 100 litres (l) is a lot of water.

o

I meant what I said, ie: one hundred litres
It would be enough to increase pH by 0.1 point at the time.

o
RE: baking soda

Oh, . . . . and I meant to say that it should be bicarbonate of soda (NaHCO3)
Hope that's what you meant by "baking soda"

o

OK, math...
To lower pH from 7.0 to 6.0, I'd have to add 10 ml of 5% vinegar per 100L of water.

= 0.1 ml vinegar per 1L of water.

So I first should dilute the vinegar with 9 parts water, and then add 1 ml of that mixture (less than a quarter teaspoon) to 1 L of water. Does that sound about right?

o

Perfect!
But remember that this is NOT perfect science. I suggest you add half - just to see what happens - then - based on the result - work out how much more you need, and add that.
Keep notes!

o

Thanks for all your help. I've learned a lot. I should go get some of those pH test strips from the aquarium shop tomorrow. Now I just need to figure out why the leaves at the bottom of my basil (the one that had the ant problem) are turning yellowish-white. I think I've ruled out over-watering, so it must be some kind of nutritional problem.

o

often overfeeding (too strong nutrient) should be the first thing to rule out along with way out of whack pH.

I had a pH situation not too long ago, my pH tester quit working and would only read 7. I was wondering why even after adding lots of pH down the reading was still the same. I went and got some test strips and sure enough, I'd dropped down around 4 and the plants were starting to show signs of stress (keep in mind I was only adding a little acid per day as it is easy to overdo and it can take a while for what you add to mix properly.)

Now if I can collect enough rain water to use in my hydroponics I don't need to adjust the pH down as the nutrients are enough to handle the pH of the rain water. Whenever I have to use my well water, I need to worry more about the pH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here