Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size PVC Pipes for Tomatoes?

Posted by stefblac Victoria, Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 15, 08 at 19:30

As the title asks, what sized PVC pipes for tomatoes? I have heard that due to their large root mass you must use larger than normal pipes. So big is big enough? Thanks in advance.

Stefan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size PVC Pipes for Tomatoes?

• Posted by stefblac Victoria, Australia (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 15, 08 at 19:34

Sorry I should probably mention that these are for an NFT system.

o

I grow tomatoes using aeroponics, ramp and "static" techniques. In each instance, the individual root balls are about the size of a large grapefruit. Root balls are pourus, of coarse, but several in a line would tend to jam up a tube, I'd think.

Here's the niftiest way I've seen yet to grow tomatoes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5l902ktiWo&feature=related

This beats the heck out of both ramp and NFT methods, to my way of thinking. It's my first fling with a "static" system, but so far, everything seems to be going well. Static growing requires no pumps nor aeration.

o

I would recommend a bare minimum of 4" but even a 6" pipe could run into clogging problems.

I've seen a few people use those black corrugated plastic drain pipes used to handle the run off from roof gutters with some success.

Bigger pipes would be easier to clean, too. My advice would be to get at least a 6", bigger if you can afford it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here