Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aerobobponics

seeds from immature tomatoes

aerobobponics
15 years ago

Hello I'm a budding tomato grower and most of my tomatoes have blossom rot, end rot or what ever you X'perts call it.

my question is can I get seeds out of a two week old tom with end rot?

Bob

Comments (6)

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

Why would you want to?

End rot and blossom rot usually go hand in hand with a lack of calcium. Try upping the calcium. Maybe use a product called "Cal Mag" and foliar-feed (mist) your plants with it before they reach the flowering stage.

I suggest starting over with new seeds. Email me and I'll share some germinating "secrets" that will get you back in the saddle in no time at all.

• aerobobponics
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you sir

reason why? b'cuzz I just want to learn and was wondering if it was a waste of time which you confirmed was.

peace
    Bob

• hydroponica
    15 years ago

It'd be a crapshoot as to whether the seeds were any good.

I'm not sure if blossom end rot can be fixed. I know it can be prevented by supplementing with enough calcium, but I think that once you've got it, that plant will always have it.

Best to just start over from known good stock.

If you've got germination secrets freemangreens, just share them here. I'm sure everyone would like to know.

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

Well, okay.

I grow tomatoes and lettuce mostly, so here's my secret for these seeds. I brew up a cup of warm tea. I use one Lipton tea bag and brew it somewhere near one minute. Not too strong, just tan in color. Once it is cooled to tepid (not cold), I toss in tomato seeds, cover the cup and let it sit in a dark place for 24 hours. When the timer goes off, I sew them into my system (see Web page) in moist, washed sand and they grow like magic.

Lettuce is a different story. I sew the lettuce ON THE SURFACE of the wet sand and mist the seeds with nutrient solution of pH 6.3 and EC of 1.2. Germinating them in the light, you'll see the little bud pop out of the end of each seed in about 2 hours for some cultivars (Tom Thumb) and about 6 hours for most of the leafy stuff. Lettuce likes light for some reason.

That's about it, really.

• hydroponica
    15 years ago

Hrm, good food for thought. I haven't had trouble germinating lettuce so far, but I've been doing it in the dark and it does take a little while for them to come up. Next time I'm germing I'll try it your way and see how it goes for me.

I'll definitely try tea for tomatoes too. I like experimentation.

• grizzman
    15 years ago

blossom bottom rot(BBR) does is not something that a plant 'gets' and can't get rid of. if you get ample calcium to them, the new fruits will be just fine. Even fruits with a sign of BBR can be salvaged if the deficiency is corrected early enough. if the damage isn't too severe on the rotted ones, they're still edible. just cut of the 'rotted' part.

I germinate all seeds pretty much the same way; in a damp paper towel wrapped in a piece of aluminum foil. keeping them near room temperature, with the exception of spinach seeds, I normally get about 90% germination. Though I admittedly don't do much with leafy greens.