Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuck_gw

Emergency System Project

chuck
18 years ago

Several years ago, I designed a hydro system for education and practical use. The main idea was for the system to be cheap and simple to build, work well, and easy to operate. The result was a system that worked fine for several years. Then, there was a hurricane that that came through our area and did a lot of damage, including destroying my system. Now, a year later,I am ready to start working on a new system. This time however, I want to build a system that is independent from normal utility sources. It might be that sometime in the future, due to the lack of oil to produce electrical power, another devestating storm, or some other national catastrophy, we may have to rely on such a system to help get through rough times. If you are interested in participating in the design of a system that could be stored in a box until needed, or set up all the time like mine will, I invite your input. I have a link on my website that will take you to a page with more information about the project. Thanks, chuck

Here is a link that might be useful: emergency hydro system project

Comments (3)

• idontgrow
    18 years ago

Hey man,

Ive been planing a system that would fit into a box in several peices of PVC. It would be fairly simple to put together when needed. THe only part that I dont have worked out is power.

I saw a few websites where ppl are building solar generators using gel batteries (wheel chair use) and small dc>ac inverters, and small Solar Panel ~10w. They can be built for ~$200, for a really elaborate setup, which I dont think we'd need, it would cost 300 or more. If youre anything like me the 200 setup would be fine, I dont NEED too many amenities.

The idea that I have would involve 4" pvc, some Ts and some cross sections. The box that would hold it during down time, would be the res. once set up for work. One leg would be placed into the res and act as the drain back down. I have sketches that I could send you via email. I wish I had the extra loot to build it now, but Im kinda strapped cause my 3yo daughter has started school and that's a big ball of money out the wallet, but well worh it.

I am deffinatly down to help create a system for ppl to utilise and grow their own food. I just built a filter for my outdoor holding tank aquaponic setup and the water has gone crystal clear in two days. Ill be adding 3doz more feeder goldfish, and minnows tommorow, as well as a doz gost shrimp.

I will be adding a secondary tank for just crayfish to add some of their poop to the mix. I will be changing my bucket style growbed to your flex-tube NFT. I was just looking at those in HD a week ago, trying to figure a way to use them, and you solved it, 2x4s!!! Why didnt I think of that?!?

Chuck thanks for the good vibes man! Peace.

• chuck
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would be glad to post your drawings on my website, please send them. I received a nice email where a fellow mentioned a simple hand pump made from pvc pipes. I hope he will send me the plans. Thanks for shareing your Ideas. chuck

• chuck
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just a follow up, the first design model of an emergency system is up and running and so far seems to be doing well. Please use the link below to see the setup. I invite you to make suggestions and comments. chuck

Here is a link that might be useful: emergency hydro system in action