Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkirkwag_gw

Best brand of HPS

mkirkwag
19 years ago

I want to add a 1000W HPS to my room (I currently have a 400w MH). I can't find anything on the differences btwn brands and types. Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• Luckyleaf
    19 years ago

Don't worry about brands and just get one! I personally would order a cheap one off ebay since they all work the same.. but with 1000w you will have to worry about heat from the light

• willardb3
    19 years ago

All HPS lamps do not work the same and vary in light output, spectrum, lamp life and a whole bunch of other things.

Phillips, GE and Sylvania are all good.

• mkirkwag
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It's good to know which lamp or good; I was focussed on son agro.I was asking about fixtures, though. Your point about heat is important - I want a fixture with good cooling and excellent safety.

I have a 400w MH, and want more coverage. I know a 600W or even 400 HPS would be a better balance, but I don't think it would solve the issue of covering a larger space. I looked at dual fixtures, but I'm using a normal sized suburban bedroom for my plant room, and I want to use as much space for growing as I can.

• Luckyleaf
    19 years ago

Maybe you could just add a 400w HPS to go with your 400w MH? That would help with the heat since both would be putting out seperate and less heat than a single 1000w would. What are you growing? Im going to be starting soon 4 tomatoes in hydro under a 400w MH

• mkirkwag
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, that's what I was saying. Adding a 400 or 600 would be a better balance of color spectrum and may be less heat overall, but it wouldn't give me the same coverage. Ergo, I'm shopping around for the best brand of 1000W HPS fixture - or at least the best set of features.

I grow veggies.

• hydro4me
    19 years ago

Hello mkirkwag,

Can I give my 2 cents? You are on the right path with the Son Agro, this has a lot of red/yellow spectrum for fruiting and flowering with some blue green too. Check out the Hortilux, also enhanced, from EYE Lighting. Most fixtures have 6" openings for great cooling.

Later, Jason

• mkirkwag
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind. Any opinions on the fixtures?

• amar
    19 years ago

Hello

I agree luckyleaf about just adding another light (400W). The light distribution will be much better. I actually just bought the Gavita 600W HPS and it is outstanding! I love this light system and I highly recommend it.

These people thought of a great idea. The reflective material is actually in the bulb. The bulb is half glass andd the other half is polished reflective material. The bulb is positioned with the reflective material on top and the glass portion on the bottom. With all the hype about reflectors this one blows them all away. The lumens are higher than other 600 W bulbs because of this. You can just buy the bulb or you can get the whole system. It is very expensive and I consider it a long term investment.

You should check it out if you haven't alreadt bought something.

• mkirkwag
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks! Iwill...though I'm not looking for very expensive. I'll have a look, though.

I don't think I'll buy a lower wattage, however. It won't give me the spread I need. It's a suburban bedroom-at least 10x12.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider