Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PPM testing--is it necessary?

Posted by Luckyleaf 7 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 04 at 23:22

Is it necessary to use PPM testing if i will be growing some tomatoes in a bubbler? Also, if you say it is, what should the ranges be for the nutes in the veg stage and the fruit stage? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PPM testing--is it necessary?

Only if you want healthy plants...and the meter you want is an EC meter, not a ppm meter. The one i recommend is the Dipstick/Truncheon made by NZ Hydroponic. A great place to get it is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Hydroponics

o

Checking your pH and salts concentration of your nutrients is analogous to checking the fluids in your car. You can get away with not doing it but it is not recommended. It's extra work and expense but gives you important information on the condition of your nutrients.

Product.....pH..............cF...........ppm
Tomato....6.0 - 6.5...20 - 50......1400 - 3500

o

How do I get the PPM up to 1400-3500? Just add 2x the recommended dose of the nutes for the plants? The PPM of my water is ~50, so thats a far way to go

o

It will make a difference how large your reservoir is to get nutrients up to correct ppm.

Start keeping a log and how much and when to add and change nutrients will become much clearer to you.

PPM and Ph are closely related so you should test and record Ph as well.

o

Well im doing 5 gal bubblers, and i wont have a reservoir. It is usually like a tsp or something per gallon for each nute, but since tomatoes have different needs i would have to do something liek a tbsp per gal? ...in general i would have to use more than the recommended dose

o

All nutrients are different, all nutrients have different mineral concentrations.

1. Go buy an EC meter

2. add nutrients

3. measure nutrient concentration

o

Hey there Adriana,

Thanks for the link to Alabama Hydro. I have the Quick Dip Nutrient Meter, but it reads, "442", "KCL", and "uS" (which I believe is microsiemens). I have heard that the 442 is good for testing pond water with fish and plants, and KCL is potassium chloride. I have no clue which one to use for testing my Millennium nutrients. I try to keep the blinking LED's in the middle, but peppers or tomatoes require higher levels.

Any advice from other hydro gardeners? Thanks, Jason

o

Sharp makes a good TDS meter that measures to 2000ppm. It is the T71 and is for sale at lots of hydro suppliers.

Most published stuff on hydro is given in ppm.

I have on that has been working fine for 5 yrs.

Here is a link that might be useful: another hydro supplier

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here