Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halcy0n

bumps (pulpy) on tomatillo leaves dwc

halcy0n
14 years ago

Hi, this is my first post here so first off I'd like to say hello to everyone and thanks for any help / suggestions.

I'm using canna aqua nutes in store bought ro water to grow some purple tomatillos. The leaves started getting yellow bumps between the veins before thanksgiving break. When I got back today the bumps have increased by quite a bit on many of the leaves. The leaves closest to the 250w HID light with bumps are also starting to get brown patches where the leaf is dieing. (the light is about 1.5 feet above the plants). The room temp is between 70 and 85 f. The relative humidity is 30-35%. I always use a little ph down on the ro water (to make it about 5.3) before mixing in the canna aqua. I don't have a meter yet to measure dissolved solids.

My thoughts at first were maybe edema or maybe a magnesium or manganese deficiency but that was just from browsing google. Any thoughts?

Here's a link to the picture.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/838/photo143w.jpg

Comment (1)

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

I've had this problem before, too. I also was told it is "edema". I noticed only one certain type of tomatoes I started from seed had this problem. This was years ago and I got the seed from Territorial. I took the problem to them. At first, I thought it was infected seed so I asked if anyone else had brought this to their attention. They didn't know what it was. I was later informed that some plants just don't do well in hydro because they are too sensitive to an overabundance of some nutrients and water. It had something to do with cell walls expanding too fast before they are rigid enough. I can't remember exactly. Even though it wasn't Territorial's fault, Territorial sent me a different variety to try free of charge. I was impressed with that. I must say, though, that even the plants I started for the ground from that seed pack exhibited this symptom. I culled most of the plants in case it was a fungus or bacteria before I knew it was not infectious. However, the ones I didn't discard ended up doing poorly as the leaves apparently couldn't withstand the symptom and the bumps started becoming brittle and breaking the leaves. I didn't waste any further time on them at that point.