Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegitarianslayer

cloning vs. tissue culture propagation

vegitarianslayer
15 years ago

so has any one done both of these?

we all know cloning as taking cuttings off of a mother plant, and that works great but has anyone tried cloning by plant tissue culture?

and if so what were the results?

i will repost this in the hot pepper fourum.

Cheers!

Comments (3)

• grizzman
    15 years ago

I took some biotech classes at the community college years ago and we did some tissue culture work. it was extremely tedious, meticulous work and took a long time. (compared to rooting a cutting that is) Also, the equipment required for the lab were very expensive.
    The only reason I would see for using tissue culture is to propogate a plant that is nay impossible to propagate otherwise. And in that case, I would suggest contacting a college or university with a biotech lab and seeing about renting time in their lab.

• vegitarianslayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, i found this stuff at www.planttc.com and was wondering the ins and out you know? seems like a great idea but not to sure how it is in practice. plus who really trust's new companys ya know?

Cheers!!!

• Sequoiasaver1_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I, too, am similarly curious about tissue culture propagation. However, what I'm trying to understand is how to, first, access a cell's mitochondrial DNA, not it's nucleal DNA, as I have heard that there is genes within the mitochondria that are not prresent in nuclear DNA. Secondtly, as the theory goes, if one can access mitochondrial DNA, plant material thus propogated would express a new range of phenotypes not available from sexual (nuclear), propogation. Are there any guerrilla propagators out there!? Comments. please.