Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Might be a stupid light queston

Posted by kbhale (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 3:41

I'm in grow zone 6. Temps vary a lot this time of year.
My question is. I'm growing lettuce and salad greens no flowering plants. My lights produce enough heat to heat the room my hydroponics is in. I been thinking about putting the lights on a thermostat. If the plants get 12-14 hours of light per day but broken up over 24 hours. Would the plants be able tolerate it.
Currently I'm running the lights at night and off during the day to help control the heat. I've blocked off all natural light.
As an example of what I'm dealing with now; Right now It's 42F outside and 76F in the hydroponic room with vent open, at 0230 in the morning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Might be a stupid light queston

Sofar I know, light intensity supports the metabolism of the plant, whereas the photoperiod governs the timing clock so to speak. They generally don't cover each other's function.
I think, what you have in mind may cause problems. However, I'm not an expert on this matter. So let's see what others have to say.

o

How about keep the lights on a regular cycle and using the tstat to control the vent? It's probably more expensive, but I think cycling the lights is bad for the bulbs and plants.

o

Decided to vent the heat into my BBQ kitchen. Cut a hole and installed a fan today. I have several Ferns over wintering in there they should enjoy the moisture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here