Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iceman_1000000

Hydrponic Lettuce Tipburn

iceman_1000000
12 years ago

Hi,

I seem to be having problem with my lettuce. I'm not sure if you would classify it as tipburn or something else as it looks different on some of the leaves which the pictures show. They are currently about 3 weeks from germination. They have been in the system which is a low pressure aeroponic system for a a couple weeks so was just getting ready for the first nutrient change.

Lights 20/4

Ph at 6

PPM at 600

Watering 30 minutes every 6 hours

Temperature at 68

Lights 6500 T12

Well water with a base PPM of 175

Roots appear to be fluffy white. I was originally thinking it was a problem with calcium however the issue is occurring with the older leaves first. You can see in the last pictures that the new growth comes in without a problem. A few days ago I started running a fan on them 24/7 to see if that would help, but so far it doesn't appear to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

{{gwi:1015691}}
{{gwi:1015692}}
{{gwi:1015693}}
{{gwi:1015694}}
{{gwi:1015695}}
{{gwi:1015696}}

Comments (3)

• homehydro
    12 years ago

iceman_1000000
    Well I have a few questions.

1. What is the humidity?
    2. You say the temp is 68, is that the water or air temp?
    3. You say the ppm is 600. How does that relate to the full strength of the nutrient you are using (is 600 ppm full strength?)?
    4. If your only watering once every 6 hours in an aeroponic system, I'm surprised the plants are doing do well.
    5. You say you are using T12's. How many? For how many plants (coverage area)?
    6. Do you know what that 175 ppm of your water supply (well water) consists of? Also are you using a UV light to kill soil born pathogens and/or any micro organisms?

• iceman_1000000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi homehydro,

Hopefully I don't miss anything.

1. I currently don't have a way to measure the humidity but if anything I think it would be on the dry side.
    2. Air temp and water temp are both about 68.
    3. Overall ppm is 600 ppm after it has been added to the 175 ppm well water. The fertilizer is 16-4-16 with 16% nitrogen. They have only been in the system for a couple of weeks so they haven't had their solution changed yet since starting. Maybe I have some bacteria in there? I thought about changing the solution out or possibly adding h2o2 but to be honest I wasn't really sure what would be the best thing to try.
    4. Yeah I'm actually surprised the water seems to be enough. All the plants look perky and generally healthy. What should I be looking for to tell if they need more water?
    5. I have 1 4' t12 fixture with 2 bulbs in it putting out about 6000 lumens combined just a few inches above the plants. The area is probably 2 feet by 5 feet. Basically the lettuce are in two rows spaced about 10 inches apart directly below the fixture. I have 2 rows sharing a fixture and I'm just getting ready to add another fixture so each row would then get their own fixture.
    6. No uv light to kill anything, and I'm not doing organic. Also I haven't had a full analysis done on the water yet. Only a basic one to test that it is safe for consumption.

Sorry hope I answered all your questions. If I missed anything let me know.

Also for what its worth I also have basil started in the system and though it is still small (just starting a second set of leaves) I don't see any browning yet.

Thanks again!

• Hydrofreakshow
    12 years ago

Watering every 6 hours is a LONG time for aeroponic! I'd check the temperature below the lights and make sure you're not heating them up too much. Humidity is a little low for lettuce, but I'd lean toward old fashioned heat problems from the pic and what you mentioned.

Let me know what you find?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting