Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prevent mosquitos in Resovoirs?

Posted by Tony_K_Orlando Z9 Fl (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 04 at 7:51

I have several different setups going and someone mentioned that mosquitos find their way into the nutrients.

How do you avoid this??

Thanks
Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prevent mosquitos in Resovoirs?

Tony,
Cover your tanks and you won't have a problem. If you DO get mosquito larvae growing in the tank a couple of drops of pyrethrin or a mosquito dunk from a garden center will do the trick and will not harm your plants or humans.

o

Thanks AdrianaG,

That should be easy enough to do in my few systems.

I wasnt sure if they really are aggressive to get in the tanks or not.

Tony

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 27, 04 at 23:00

Different mosquitoes have different behaviors. Some mosquitoes lay their eggs on water & some lay their eggs on soil, which in hydroponics would probably be the media. If you have a significant mosquito problem you might want to change nutrient & clean out your system. Take care of any breeding sources that might be contributing to the problem. An air pump in your nutrient may prevent stagnation which promotes breeding. Since mosquitoes rest on vegetation, fine mesh screens (16-18 mesh) to keep them out of your growing area may help. A fan, sticky tapes or mosquito fish may also help.
http://www.mosquito.org/info.php
in the FAQ link says the following of mosquito dunks:
"The only downside is that it must be ingested by mosquito larvae, so it's best used where there are little competing food sources - relatively clean water."

o

get into aquaponics. Those larve make good food...

o

A fine mesh sould do the trick even with agressive mosquitos. I would try this method before going to others that may contaminate the nutrients.

o

Thanks Screener/every one else,

Between the return water and air bubbles, the water is a lil rough maybe for mosquito breeding. SO far, no problems yet.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here