Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to hydroponics

Posted by cd123 none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 10:00

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the world of hydroponics and just wanted to know what nutrients and additives people could recommend me to use when growing veggies?

I'm going to attempt to grow some tomatoes and hopefully some other veg too.

Thanks everyone!

cd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to hydroponics

for a beginner, I suggest buying a small quantity of General Hydroponics 3 part flora series. just buy one pint of each. If you find you really enjoy it and want to expand, then you can find something else in larger quantities.

o

There are many makers of hydro nutrients and General Hydro is one of the best-known. They make good stuff.

o

I started with tomatoes and herbs. I bought my nutrients from Eco Grow, and I've had excellent results. it's the cheapest I've found. the nutrients are in powder form and added to water. I have a small 2-tube aero/nft hybrid 6ft long, the 5 lb box I bought has lasted me more than a year. as soon as I run out I'll probably buy a 25 lb box. they have different formulations depending on the type of plants you're growing, so check them out before buying.
I mix up the solution as a concentrate and keep it in a couple of 2 liter bottles. then I add to the reservoir until the PPM is correct. I was making weekly water changes, but I found that I can go 6 months just adjusting the PPM without any ill results.

Here is a link that might be useful: eco grow nutrients

o

Thanks for replying everyone, it is most appreciated! I've now bought some kit from a few different ebay stores and have bought some nutrients too. I bought the nutrients from the link below, thought they were reasonably priced, does anyone know if they are any good? As this is my first time I thought I would opt for price.

Thanks again everyone! Once I have some veg I will upload a picture to show how I'm getting on...fingers crossed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Glogrow

o

Never heard of them, but I noticed the prices indicate they're across the pond.
Anywho, if it's a complete nutrient (most are) then you should be fine. Maybe in the future something more refined will be called for, but as a beginner you're really just looking to make sure you enjoy it.

o

Hi Grizzman,

Many thanks for getting back to me and for your help, it is most appreciated! Apologies if this is a US site, I didn't realise! Happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here