Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant support HELP

Posted by Lorraine32 none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 11:18

I�ve been having serious issues with supporting my plants the last few harvests. I've been using trellis netting and i'm struggling! I know it's the cheapest way to not let me plants fall over but it seems like such a hassle when im finished. Im thinking there has to be a better way or technique to hold my plants up but also get more light to them. sometimes my nets close up my plants so much. Any ideas, or help on this plant support stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant support HELP

Uhh, what kind of plants?

o

Sorry - brandywine tomatoes

o

I use jute and those little tomato clips I bought from Amazon.
http://amzn.com/B003XEH17U

The clips work great by clamping onto the twine then carefully holding the tomato stem. You can adjust them by raising or lowering the twine or moving the clip again.

I made my own cart with dowel rods at the top to hold up the tomatoes.

Tomatoes photo _DSC6374.jpg

o

I agree that twine and clips are cheap and easy.

You could also change your tomato variety to a compact determinate or dwarf variety that would require less work to support than the indeterminate Brandywine. There are a lot of new dwarf varieties that are said to rival the flavor of Brandywine, but I have yet to try very many of them.

o

Thanks for your input. I really like the current tomatoes I grow, just have to find a creative/easier way to support them. There has to be something out there. I'm going to google some different types of plant cages now and see what i can find. I will report back if I find something good.

o

Thanks for your input. I really like the current tomatoes I grow, just have to find a creative/easier way to support them. There has to be something out there. I'm going to google some different types of plant cages now and see what i can find. I will report back if I find something good.

o

I use the small plastic clips (got them at farm-tek, but can use the ones above) on plastic twine.. I grow in my basement, so its easy to find something above to clip on...

MUCH better than cages and such. Makes it easier to pull one plant out or move if needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here