Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesvlad

Some results of my hydroponic experiment

jamesvlad
13 years ago

For anyone who wants to know about the results of concentration, and other things, of my hydroponic experiment

I have in total:

5 bell pepper

3 tomatoes

2 zucchini

1 cucumber

Concentration of nutrient solution (ppm):

N 213.35

P 41.35

K 299.50

Ca 176.28

Mg 41.24

S 108.46

Cl 80.47

Fe 2.92

Cu 0.06

Zn 0.30

Mn 0.58

B 0.37

Mo 0.05

High concentration of sulfur is due to sulfuric acid used to acidifiy tap water (pH = 7. 8) to reach pH = 5.2

High concentration of chlorine is due to the use of calcium chloride and potassium chloride.

Phosphorus concentration is more than enough according to the results, no need to increase at "bloom stage", and maybe you can use P = 30 ppm or less.

NH4 / NO3 ratio: 14 / 86

No EC or TDS readings.

Growing media:

Fermented rice husks 70% and 30% grit

"Net pots" (inexpensive plastic sieve) dimensions:

Pepper: diameter 5.5 inch x depth 2.5 inch

Tomato: diameter 6.5 inch x depth 3 inch

Zucchini: diameter 8 inch x depth 3 inch

Cucumber: diameter 9 inch x depth 5 inch

Plastic container:

Pepper: 2 liters

Tomato and zucchinni: 1.5 gallons

Cucumber: 3 gallons

Watering method:

Manual, twice a day after aerating solution with an air pump.

At the end of the day recover excess of nutrient solution to recirculate (manual)

Adjusting pH every 36 hours to 5.2.

All the plants share the same nutrient solution.

Watering nutrient solution Monday to Friday

Watering with acidified water (pH = 5.2) Saturday and Sunday (no nutrient solution)

Light conditions:

Use of an inexpensive window plastic mesh to reduce intensity of sunlight (very important), 4 hours of sunlight.

28 C average temperature.

First three weeks:

Watering 1 oz of nutrient solution for every plant twice a day

Fourth week:

Watering 1 oz of nutrient solution for every bell pepper twice a day

2 oz for each tomato

2 oz for each zucchini

2 oz for the cucumber

Fifth to seventh week:

4 - 5 oz for plant twice a day

Nutrient consumption:

About 1 gallon for week / first month (plus 1 gallon of acidified water for weekends)

About 1.7 gallons for week / second month (plus 1 gallon of acidified water for weekends)

Pepper

3 weeks:

7 weeks:

First flower:

Tomato:

3 weeks

7 weeks

Zucchini:

3 weeks

7 weeks

First zucchini male flower:

Cucumber:

3 weeks:

7 weeks:

Male flowers:

First female flower:

Another female flower:

Coming up some day:

The most important, vegetable and fruits formation

Comments (4)

• grizzman
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What medium are you using?
    Looks like a perlite/ peat or bark mix.

• jamesvlad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Growing media:
    Fermented rice husks 70% and 30% grit

To prepare fermented rice husk:
    Cover rice husk with water, 10 days.
    Wash with tap water, adjust pH with sulfuric acid
    Combine with clean grit

• homehydro
    13 years ago

jamesvlad
    Nice looking plants, and very detailed information. I believe you said you were using Fermented rice husks 70% and 30% grit for the growing medium. I am wondering if there is a reason the rice husks need to be fermented, or if that is just the way they come (I have never bought or used them). Also I'm not familiar with grit. I did a quick search for that term and came up with basically large sand or small gravel particles, is that right?

Do the rice husks become compacted? I assume if grit is large sand or small gravel, it's there to help with drainage and add weight for support. Just asking because I am always looking for alternatives to traditional hydroponic growing mediums. I really like using coco chips because it holds moisture well. But on a larger scale, considering I have a lot of 3 and 5 gallon buckets I want to fill, coco chips are not really economical for me because 50% of the cost is shipping. I need to have it shipped to me or take a 7 hour round trip drive, and unless I'm really stocking up that's a lot of gas money.

• jamesvlad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The rice husks need to be fermented to avoid germination of rice seeds. Some people say that the "fermentation" rises the capacity to hold water in 25 - 30%. But I can't say.
    The "grit" is a volcanic stone, you can use small gravel, perlite or any similar medium.
    The rice husks become compacted little by little, but it is very light, it doesn't trap the roots. It depends on the watering method, if it is drip irrigation the compactation is slower. In my case it has compacted because I ´m using a manual method, a half gallon plastic jug with holes, but I can easily insert my finger in the rice husks to check the humidity. I don´t fill the bucket with rice husks, I fill only the net pot.
    The rice husks need to be changed every year. The best thing is that I can get it free in my country.