Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronto_and_brisbane

need chemical to help stop rotting in hydroculture

hi all..... I"m sorry this isn't a hydroponics question but hydroculture...although you may be able to help.

I wanted to know what you'd recommend for the water trays to prevent bacteria or virus growing and spreading to the plants.

As it is most of my geraniums are not happy ... first time growing cuttings in perlite only ... i've used wicking on them before and they were fine.

I know i contributed to the problem by having the water level too high and they were standing in water.

I also could have cleaned them much better when i originally rooted them. I should have stripped every tiny leaf, stem etc. that would later be surrounded by moist perlite.

Also i used clay pots which i thought would allow more oxgen around the roots like fabric pots do ... boy was that wrong.

As i said i did wick them before for years ...and the medium was heavy ... they did fine.... i thought that as a medium perlite is the most dry i can get and still have wicking ... maybe i should mix it with sand in the future? Although i can imagine the size might not work, maybe gravel then?

A couple of days ago i pulled all the geranium cuttings out of their communal pots, cleaned the cuttings best i could and re potted the ones with root systems in individual plastic cups.

Anyway ... i put cinnamon inside one pot ... a lot of it ... 1/2 teaspoon in a ? 10 oz cup... it's a do or die experiment.

I have neem oil ... can that be safely put in the water supply?

is there another chemical i can use which might help?

any advice is gratefully appreciated.

thanks ... silvana.

(the other plants i have under this system are philadendron moonlight, sanseveria (will transfer both to hydroton balls) and african violets (they seem fine in perlite). I also have some experimental cuttings of sage and rose.

i started with perlite because i could not get hydroton ....at the time ... i have some now but am hesitant to put mildewed/rotting geranium pieces in there ... perlite feels more resistant to spreading rot.

I also like working with perlite because it is more accessible in remote areas than hydroton ... but i am happy to use both.

Comments (3)