Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting started

Posted by Kab79 none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 14:06

this will be my first time setting up my own hydroponic settup , ive done my own research but im curious to see what setups other people have used that have worked out well . any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting started

start simple and expand from there.
I recomment, as most will, that you start with a simple deep water culture system and grow tomatoes. maybe some herbs if you're concerned about having enough light.

o

I started with a hybrid aero/nft system. A couple of 4inch diameter plastic tubes, some quarter inch tubing, 1/2 inch pvc with holes drilled for sprayers.
The whole setup cost me about a hundred bucks. The biggest cost was the $80.00 pump.
I've tried DWC in a bucket. bucket, net pot, aquarium pump, airstone and tubing all bought new will cost you around 25 bucks.
I haven't had a lot of luck with the dwc system. I have 2 buckets with 2 plants in each one. root rot seems to be more of a problem in it than it is in my nft system. I've lost 6 plants to root rot in the dwc buckets.

o

DWC is easiest and cheapest. You should learn fundamentals of growing plants in hydroponics before moving to advanced systems

My opinion the difficulty of common systems is described by the following:

DWC < NFT < EnF < Aero

With DWC easiest, Aero most difficult. Aero in fact really isn't hydroponics as the roots hang in air rather than water, but for the sake of simplicity I just group it with hydroponics.

Starting easy will allow you to learn about pH, EC/PPM, oxygenating water, how changing reservoirs and nutrients works and how often to do it, and also plant symptoms/stresses in hydro (which can be much different and come about much quicker than in soil).

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 12:14

I would add "to waste" there before DWC, ethno.

o

Drain "to waste" isn't an actual hydroponic system. Both NFT and aeroponics, for example, can be drain to waste. Its more of a descriptor or a choice of how to use the nutrients in a system that is usually recirculating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here