Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydroponics, compost and bacteria

Posted by rpondpa 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 30, 06 at 14:54

I read on one of the posts that bacteria in the nutrient solution is not desireable and have a question about this.

I am composting using redworms and want to send the liquid runoff from the worms into my circulating hydroponics system. My idea is that the nutrient solution would feed the plants and that I could supplement the nutrient solution if needed. This 'worm tea' will be rich with both nutrients and bacteria. Is that a problem?

Insofar as feeding nutrients goes, does this have to be a precise thing? Is there room in these systems for this type of experiment or will it just kill the plants?

I am new to hydroponics. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydroponics, compost and bacteria

What you are describing is similar to Freshwater Aqua Culture and Aquaponics. It is a sophisticated, expensive operation which utilizing processes to remove solid wastes, oxidize toxic ammonia and oxyginate the water continously to prevent rotting.
If you are using this system it will be tatally organic Hydroponics.
You need to add autorophic bacteria to the growing medium so they can oxidize nitrite and ammonia to nitrate which plant can use. I would use an Ebb and Flow system with a submerging pump and a timer.
Give it a try and start with an easy plant to grow such as Lettuce or Basil. Good luck. Please let us know who it is progressing.
Safwat

o

I grow in an aero system and also keep worms and have experimented with using the tea mixed with liquid nutrients.

If you use the worm/compost tea without killing the organisms in the tea before you use it, your plumbing will get plugged up.

It made no measurable difference from just nutrient use with chiles.

It makes a huge difference in soil which is where I now put my tea.

o

Worm tea works fine for Hydroponic systems as a fully certifiable organic fertilizer and will not plug up your plumbing if larger liquid discharge orifices are used. Therefore, it is not suitable for aeroponics (which uses emitters to mist the roots with the hydroponic solution), but is ideal for most other forms of hydroponics. Perlite, which is very inexpensive in bulk ($8/5 cu ft from Perlite of Texas in San Antonio) has capillary active properties which are not commonly discussed, whereby liquids are "wicked" several inches through this grow medium, making it a contender for hydroponics growth medium. I have used it for decades and the only down side I have found is that of root buildup in the perlite. Depending on the design of your system, this could be a non-issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here