Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grizzman_gw

Office tomatoes

grizzman
14 years ago

Here are a series of pictures of my tomato plants I have growing in my office window. Some of the dates are incorrect. The cameras clock doesn't keep the correct date and I sometimes suck at inputing the correct dates. I will correct below each picture.With that . . .

onward!

Rooting the cuttings. these plants volunteered in the ground where I had some growing last year so I cut them off and rooted them.

Actual date should be 12 August 2009

Here are the plants two weeks later.

And one month after that.

maybe a little longer. possibly taken as late as October first.

And finally one taken about an hour ago.

I know the date on this one is incorrect. it should be 17 November 2009.

The window faces almost due East and gets sun until about 1:00.

Comments (9)

• grizzman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These are two sets of flowers that were open when I came to work Monday(16th)

Again with the dates. This was taken on 17 November.

This One is a close up of the drain valve / water level indicator.

I'm not sure about the date here, but it's not relevant either.

And finally, 3" net pots and hydroton. This is really to illusrate my thoughts on keeping the pots from falling through the holes. I cut said holes smaller than the nominal pot size. That is why they're sticking up approx 1/2" above the lid. I figure it'll have to stretch quite a bit to fall through that.

For those interested, this is a sterlite tub I bought at Wally for about $4 USD. I covered it by spraying it with adhesive then applying a black trashbag around it. I then taped the corners to make it look decent.
    I fill the tub with 7+ L of fresh nutrient every two weeks and generally have to top it off after about 8-10 days with fresh water.

• grizzman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So here are pictures of some of the tomatoes on the vine. they appear to be persimmon tomatoes. a large cherry type tomato thats very sweet and low acid. They were grown beside some vinson watt and I had hoped they would cross and possibly pick up the VW excellent flavor and larger size. Oh well! a tomato is still a tomato. and maybe I'll yet be surprised.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

grizzman,

I found winter/early spring to be better for growing tomatoes in a window than summer. The sun, being much lower on the horizon, provided more hours of direct light.

If you try a different variety next time, Siletz is one I have tried and really like. I have one called ITC-06-313 in the GH that looks very promising, though I do not know how it will taste.

A GH tom I want to try next is Celebrity.

Mike

• yummykaz
    14 years ago

WOW! Impressive! Are you using a pump in the buck from Wally? Did you shake plants or use fan for pollination? Thanks!

• grizzman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes it is the $20USD one from wally. currently using a 6" stone with it. the two 1.1/2" ones clogged on me.
    I pollinate using a vibrating toothbrush on the stem just above the blooms.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

grizzman,

I was having trouble with the stones clogging so I bought some 1/4" soaker hose. I cut a piece to make a ring that fits in the bottom of the bucket and a "T" to connect the ends and the supply hose. Although I usually have to use a bit of a weight to hold it down, it works a treat.

If you need more than a couple of stones, the hose is also a cheaper buy.

Mike

• grizzman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Mike. The soaker hose sounds like a good idea. You could glue it to the bottom with silicon if you started out that way. the 6" stone I'm using now, I have actually used on at least two other builds and it has never clogged on me. I was just trying the little ones for something different and you see where that got me. . . back to the old standard. If it clogs on me, I'll give the soaker a try.

• freemangreens
    14 years ago

I've got this tomato-growing gig down to a fine art:

one 2-gallon bucket and lid with a hole cut into it to fit a 4" net pot
    one 4" net pot
    one wad of pink wall insulation
    one fish-tank air pump (air stone optional)
    two gallons nutrient solution at EC 2.0
    one tomato seed
    sunlight
    time

What could be easier? I drill a hole in the bucket half way up so if it gets rained on, it only fills up to the hole. After rains, I re-feed with 2.0.

I know, I know . . . it's drain-to-waste . . . shhhhh . . . don't tell Uncle Sam (he's got enough on his plate; leave him out of this).

:O)

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

Hey, it's not drain to waste if you put it on your lawn or around a tree, right? It's lightly fertilizing.

That soaker hose idea is a good one. I may have to try that, too.