Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annieb80

tomatoes sprouting plants out of skin

annieb80
14 years ago

Help! I have 2 perfectly good tomatoes that are growing plants out of their skins. Little aliens popping out with little green leaves. What's going on? Never seen this before in 80 yrs. These are not soft; they look healthy but I'm very confused. Can I plant them in dirt? How far in the dirt? Will they grow to be big tomato plants? Does anyone want a picture?

Please help

Thank you

Comments (17)

• grizzman
    14 years ago

That is bizarre?!? I would love to see pictures.
    Are the tomatoes still on the vine?

• annieb80
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No; my children are revolted at the sight. I'd love to send you pics. Where?

• annieb80
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would love to send a picture but only know how to do that via attachment to an email

• grizzman
    14 years ago

check "My Page" for my address.
    But they did sprout before they come off the vine?

• gmcd
    14 years ago

just upload photo to Imageshack http://imageshack.us/ and past the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Imageshack

• bbrush
    14 years ago

Thats weird, tomatoes and most other berries produce a chemical that stops the seeds germinating ( Abscisic acid ), that together with the PH inside of tomatoes stops them germination. Must have a genetic mutation and the PH has risen some how.

• dupperdog
    14 years ago

I heard someone on a gardening radio program describing tomato seeds sprouting inside a tomato. thought she was crazy until i saw the same thing myself. Little leaves forming inside a tomato that I cut open. No idea why it happens.

• freemangreens
    14 years ago

I've seen this before too. I thought it was cool! No idea why it happens. It's kind of rare, but interesting.

• annieb80
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a picture of the baby plant I've been nurturing since it had 2 leaves. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will make it. Have it in a "greenhouse" environment. I put a plastic glass over it and keep it covered most of the time..
    If anybody would like a picture of it; would be glad to send it. I planted it when the "mother" tomato was getting rotten.

• freemangreens
    14 years ago

Twilight Zone theme plays in background . . .
    Must be an "End Times" thing.
    Mutant Ninga Toms?

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

Check out this website where they claim the brix level in the tomato is so high, that instead of rotting, the seeds in the tomato eventually start sprouting.Interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe for brix gardening

• annieb80
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My posting was in November of 2009. My strange little plant is growing and looks healthy. I would so much like to send a picture of it to anyone interested because I've never grown tomatoes before and I don't want to kill it. I need some advice. I hope someone is still interested in a plant that has grown out of a tomato.
    Thank you

• grizzman
    14 years ago

If you send me a picture, I will post it here.
    (email addy is in profile)
    Don't worry too much about killing it. Tomatoes are basically a tasty weed. Very hard to kill.

• grizzman
    14 years ago

Original Picture of the sprouting tomatoes

How the plants are looking today

• chinamon
    14 years ago

wow that looks so cool!

• georgeiii
    14 years ago

There are 3 things I know of that causes problems like that. One the seed has been in storage too long. The other is it's seed from a hybrid plant that your trying to grow seed from this year. The other is radiation, ultra violet. Ask the local garden club or Master Gardeners. Because of the depletion of the ozone levels there are many plants now that are growing oddly just like the frogs and salamanders.

• annieb80
    Original Author
    14 years ago

going to Mich. middle of May and so nervous the plant won't survive the move. Can I ship it 2 day safely? Do you think I should put it in a plastic bag anchored around the stem with a some water in it? I feel like it's my premature baby! And if it makes it to Mich., I'm so afraid bugs and rot will get it. Should I hang it in one of those bags? What web site will tell me how to collect seeds if I get tomatoes? Right here?
    Thank you for all the help. I've gotten this far I don't want to lose it