Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil Help with Prepara Pro

Posted by Rickdude none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 16:35

Hi,

Let me preface this by saying that I am not at all a gardener. If anyone is kind enough to answer this request for help, please dumb it down for me. ;-)

I am using a Prepara Pro hydroponic system with a grow light that is on a timer (15 hours on and 9 hours off). I am growing three varieties of basil-- Lemon, Genovese, and Purple Ruffles. The lemon is taking off and growing maybe 2-3 times as fast as the Genovese, which is growing maybe 2-3 times faster than the purple ruffles.

The first and most obvious problem is the brown spots on the lemon basil. The leaves sprout, look healthy (and the plants are growing), but then these brown spots appear. The spots get worse, the leaves droop, and they look like they will eventually fall.

The leaves on the lemon basil were initially flat, but the newer leaves coming in are curled to the back, which made me realize that perhaps the shape of the leaves on the smaller plants are indicative of further problems (you can see those in the picture as well).

I realize that maybe these plants probably have different nutrient needs, but I figured that what came with the system was general enough to keep it all covered. The solution that I am working with is "Power Plant" diluted at 0.1% (the label says that it is 7% total nitrogen, 9% P2O5, 5% K2O, 0.1% iron, 0.05% Mn, and 0.05% Zn, if that helps).

Thanks for any help at all!!

Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil Help with Prepara Pro

Picture didn't come through first time... trying again.

o

I looks like bacterial leaf spot to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacterial Leaf Spot

o

Thank for starting thread on Prepara Pro hydroponic system and sharing your experience which can help grower or it can be preferable in future for growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here