Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doups3

First Hydroponic Grow: Tomatoes and LED grow Light

doups3
12 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forums and I'm looking for a place where I can learn from others and hopefully help others learn a bit as well. I'm really interested in the idea of hydroponic growing because where I live in Utah the growing season is too short.

Anyways, today I decided to try planting some tomatoes indoor. I placed peat moss and perlite inside of plastic cups and mixed in some water. I then placed burpee big boy tomato seeds in each cup and topped the cup with some plastic wrap. I poked a few holes in the plastic wrap for circulation.

I then placed my LED grow light about 2 1/2 feet above the seeds. You can see my set up in the image below.

{{gwi:1016777}}

Well I ordered a hydroponic kit in the mail because I have no idea what I'm doing with hydroponics. It should be here in a couple of days.

My current plan is to let the seeds germinate and then plop them into the hydroponic system. haha Any recommendations or suggestions on what I should be doing?

Also, are the seeds supposed to be receiving light or not? I received conflicting advice on this.

Best,

Nate

Comments (2)