Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamtrible

Filling an AeroGarden with homemade/generic replacements

tamtrible
12 years ago

My friend bought an AeroGarden (I think one of the 6-pod models), then got bored with it. I will probably be stealing it soon.

The thing is, I don't want to spend $20 or whatever for new seed pods and new little nutrient tabs and whatever. In fact, as much as possible, I'd like to do things on the cheap.

So, 1. what would people suggest as cheap sources for replacement sponges? I think he still has the pods, and possibly also the little domes. Can I use something like sphagnum moss, or do I need something actually sponge-like?

2. Do I need special nutrients, or can I use generic fertilizer? I've got a bottle of Schultz liquid fertilizer. Will that do, or would I need something better/some specific type of fertilizer? I'll likely be growing mostly vegetables and flowers...

3. If I do need special nutrients, where can I get something suitable relatively cheaply?

4. How essential are the little domes? If he doesn't have them, can I do without, and/or are there cheap replacements out there? Can I just use a piece of plastic wrap or whatever?

5. I'm not sure he still has the pods, or at least not all of them. Any suggestions for cheap and easy homemade replacements, or sources/sites for generic commercial replacements?

6. Any seeds I *shouldn't* grow in the AeroGarden, or should only start in the AG, then transplant elsewhere soon after? For example, I've been growing beans from the grocery store, would they add too much nitrogen to the water or something? I've also been trying to grow things like various spices (sesame seeds, caraway, pepper, etc.)...

7. Any other general advice?

If it makes any difference, I live in the Phoenix area.

Comments (3)