Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not truely Hydroponics, but new toy, aerogarden.

Posted by heather38 6a E,Coast (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 22:18

How I am here first, As this may help you to help me, until Thursday I had never really taken much note of this forum, popped in and out as I am interested in what others do, and looked at some of your blogs and left with a throbbing head and a jealously, that you are clever enough to build these systems.
Any road up I looked in on Thursday, and someone had given a link to a blog which explains the whole thing (sorry can't remember the original thread) and I read through most of it, very interesting reading, and I kept telling my Hubby the next thing I had learned, even thou he has zero interest in gardening, anyway he come home from work yesterday and asks if I want a aerogarden, I tell him honestly, I know of which you speak, but they are amazingly expensive and and appear to be a hook to keep you buying their product.
anyway we do a search, and decide that the price $60, its worth a punt, its the 7 cell deluxe model, I think, we don't have a box as second hand, but came with the master gardener kit and 2 spare bulbs as well as those in it, and other stuff.
I have done a search and all of my questions apart from two have been answered, such as seed starting, do I really have to pay their ridiculous prices for, foam and nutrients!
So the moment you have all been waiting for (or not) my questions.
1, I am interested in seed starting and on the official site the 60 hole tray is a spit off $30, but having looked around it appears it is something like foam or polystyrene, and sits on the surface of the water? has anybody got one to describe it and how it works or made one themselves?
2/ When starting the seeds does the light need to be on? as in yes it will give heat, but my basic understanding of germination is light isn't needed?? I have cilantro, basil and oregano, as I decided to try these first, (my own seeds)
thanking you in advance as I understand this is a sort of girlie system, but as it has lights and programs and a bit tech hubby is suddenly interested and would not let me set it up myself:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not truely Hydroponics, but new toy, aerogarden.

Nice start heather !
I use wood chips for seeding in egg boxes, which I keep wet with a spray can. Never thought about the lights on or off, so can't say.
I think the foam floating on water may do well, but is it porous enough to suck up the water? Otherwise keep a spray can ready.
Try it out . . see what happens. There's nothing like failures to teach you. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here