Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Jars and Hydroponics

Posted by Master_Eeyore 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 23:04

I am new in hydroponics, and love my bay window full of herbs. I had a thought, and hoped someone with more experience could advise me.

I have 2 glazed strawberry jars. I thought about filling them with a perlite mixture, planting it, and setting it in a trough that would be fed by an AutoPot system.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance...

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Jars and Hydroponics

Pat, are you going to drill some holes it the jars to allow the nutrients to flood in and out? There are some special ceramic drill bits, or maybe diamond tip for drilling glass. Maybe some plastic yougart containers might be easier to use. I once used large styrofoam cups with the bottoms sliced open and perlite for the medium to grow some pepper plants. It worked pretty good. I have some pictures if you care to see them. Good luck, chuck

o
RE: Strawberry Jars and Hydroponics

The pot I am referring to is about 24" high and has 9 "shelves" or holes in the side, and one on the bottom for drainage. I was trying to find a way to use them since they are beautiful, and I have enough space for them. The SmartValve allows the 1 gallon pots in the AUTO POT system to maintain moisture all the way up using wicking action - I was wondering if the same thing would work in the strawberry pots. Guess I just have to try it out...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here