Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ocean/Salt Water Hydroponics

Posted by csung1 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 23:19

Dear all,

Can someone comment on the feasibility of using sea water as a water source for hydroponics? What would you have to do (specifics if possible) to convert it into a useable form (desalinate, filter, sterilize?)? I really have no clue so please if you are knowledgeable on this, bear with me. I ask the question with intent obviously. Yes I know the sink produces water. Yes I know in the States you can buy coolers of water at will.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ocean/Salt Water Hydroponics

Israel, Dubai and other countries in that region desalinize a decent amount of water for hydroponics, and some cities in the US are opening plants that provide desalinized water for the public water systems. On a smaller scale I believe it is possible to use a reverse osmosis (RO) system or multiple reverse osmosis systems with different levels of filtration to produce water suitable for plants, but am pretty sure that type of capability is expensive. I don't personally have any experience using salt water or a RO system so hopefully someone else will provide some input.

o
RE: Ocean/Salt Water Hydroponics

Do a Google search for desalinate water DIY - there are several very basic methods that are described. The major drawback seems to be most of them require solar power (sunshine!) to be effective. They can desalinate quarts to barrels of sea water per day, depending on their size. They do not seem expensive to build, thankfully!

HTH,

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here