Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydroponic Strawberries

Posted by grampe 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 05 at 7:37

I have Strawerry plants in 2 liter bottles , planted in 3/8's pea stone, and they have done real well. My question is "How do I care for the plants this winter". In our region winters are very cold, and I would like to know what to do to my plants to hold them over the winter. The plants are very healthy, with runners attached. I do not heat my greenhouse during the winter season. I would appreciate any sound advice from strawberry growers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydroponic Strawberries

Strawberries benefit from chilling over the winter with some varietys tolerating more cold than others. If you purchased yours from a local nursery they were probably bred for your climate and in all likelihood will tolerate and actually benefit from over-wintering in your unheated greenhouse.

If you were growing the plants in soil I would advise you to stop applying fertilizer as soon as the cold drives them to dormancy. I suspect this will also be true for growing them hydroponically. I have no idea how they'll react if the roots freeze while suspended in solution.

Hope this helps,

SH

o

Thanks slaphead for the reply. I live in zone4, where it gets anywhere from -20 to -40 below zero, and I have stopped the nutrients about 3 weeks ago. I realize strawberry plants need chilling, but this would be like throwing them in the freezer. I would think this would kill the roots, but don;t know for sure??. I guess I will have to take my chances, and see what happens next spring. Thanks again for the reply, and have a Happy Holiday Season.

Grampe

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 19, 05 at 4:21

I came across this link this morning. They suggest:

" simulate a winter for your new seedlings. Dip roots (or plugs) in microbial solution, gently wrap them in clear plastic and refrigerate them for two to five months. After this rest period, your transplants are ready to be added to your hydroponic system."

They have a bit of info on hydro strawberries just scroll down the text.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Strawberries

o

Thank you very much Baci and slaphead for your reply. It has already gone to -7 below 0, and my strawberries are well frozen by now. I have left the plants in my containers, and will wait for spring to know the results. The plants are very well developed, and I know they don't mind the cold, so we will just have to wait and see the results. It seems like I just got things cleaned up, and have to make up some new bato buckets for some other experiments for the up-coming season. Again, thanks for replying to my question, and have a very wonderful Holiday Season,

Grampe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here