Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydro Bhuts

Posted by orgmacdonald (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 9:33

I'm growing some bhuts from seed. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that humidity, temperature, and a low ec will give the hottest peppers. Does anyone have direct experience with this? My ph is 6.1 and ec is 1.6.
I've also read on this forum that ph going up and ec down implies not enough nutes, while ph down and ec up is too much. My ec drops a little each day and I'm getting worried I'm hurting my potential yield. My temp is ~80/day and ~70/night, humidity is ~60% all under a 600 watt light.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or lessons you've learned. Here's some pics to tease ya.
Bhut Pic Gallery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydro Bhuts

The ec is high by a factor of 2 for chiles, Ph is ok

Get accurate/calibrated meters to measure ec and Ph.

o

Are you saying that my ec should be .8?

o

1.6 divided by two is pretty close to 0.8...........

o

An EC of 0.8 is fine for vegetative growth, and 1.6 is okay for generative (i.e. flowering) growth - both are within acceptable ranges. There is no one best way to grow these peppers, and it is difficult to give specific advice since you haven't provided more details about your system.

Regarding the heat level of the chiles, I usually do two things: (1) using a flood-and-drain table, I flood the media less frequently (allowing the media to dry out more), (2) I add extra sulfur to the nutrient solution. Sulfur concentration has been linked to both chile flavor and heat.

Best of luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here